Tuesday, December 19, 2006

It's Like Riding a Bicycle, Right?

A few words to the wise: If you happen to be on the roads between Silver Spring, MD; Durham, NC; and Greensboro, NC, between the hours of, oh, let's say, 11AM and 8PM tomorrow, be alert. Yes, that boring rental car barreling down the highway will be me.

I'm not saying I'm a *bad* driver. In fact, I like to think I'm pretty good. I have never had a speeding ticket* or a (major) accident**, and I've been driving for over twenty years. TWENTY. YEARS. Fuck, that's a long time.

Of course, in the last 11 or so of those years, I've driven a car about two times a year (on average). Fortunately, tt's not like one forgets how to drive a car. They don't switch the brake and the gas pedals every couple of years ... or do they? Brake is on the left, right?

ANYWAY, wish me good driving luck! Have a Merry Xmas ... or other Winter Holiday of Your Choice.

*SMOOOOOOOOOOCHES*

*Two "warnings," though, during my crazy college years. Thank the GayProf that I had (have?) a sweet, innocent face. "Why, no, Officer, I had no idea the speed limit on this road had recently changed." *smile*

**Once when I was 16 or 17, I backed the family station wagon into a snowy ravine. Oops. No one was hurt. No other cars were involved ... other than the tow truck. And, best not to mention the scary nearly hydroplaning into a jack-knifed 18-wheeler early one dark and foggy Valentine's morning my Senior year of high school.

3 comments:

  1. i won't tell about the hydroplaning if you don't tell my dad that his old lemon flew on one spring day when i drove at over 40 mph, over a snow drift (acting as a lovely ramp) that was blocking the road from the slough lindy and i were doing our biology experiment on. hey, i had to get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my first speeding ticket this past summer. It wasn't my fault, though. The officer didn't understand that I was escaping Texas at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all put me to shame. But then, I did used to drive thousands of miles per year back in the UK. A trip to Wales and back in day was not unusual or infrequent and that was a round trip of 700 miles. Certainly wasn't unusual to do that twice in a week.

    I've only had one scary near accident but I've had three speeding fines. My wrist has been well and truly slapped.

    I now have a cunning plan. Whenever I'm stopped in Aus I show my UK license and they can't be bothered with the paperwork.

    Ditto in the UK. I can't believe I never thought of it before as I've had a Texas license for years. Still, live and learn eh?

    ReplyDelete