Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Christmas Ornaments

Yesterday, I created a little activity involving Christmas ornaments and some of you got in a snit about "not having a tree." What the fuck ever people. Did you not read the assignment, or did you simply gloss over the part that said:

"If you don't have a Christmas tree, maybe you could use a holiday decoration instead?"

Props to Cooper for posting his answers for most unique/memorable Christmas tree ornaments (and bonus points for the "charming and handsome" bit!)!

For my unique Christmas tree ornament, I debated among several, including my little green frog and this weird beaded thing my friend, Michelle, made me one year. But, I finally decided on this:

Blender

Yes. It's a blender. From the Smithsonian Institution's Julia Child Collection. Seriously. A few years ago, the National Museum of American History received Julia Child's kitchen, and to celebrate they created Christmas tree ornaments. I decided no self-respecting alcoholic gay man's Christmas tree should be without a blender ornament. And besides that, the spatula ornaments were tres ugly.

Choosing my most meaningful ornaments was more difficult. I have ornaments my grandmothers gave me. I have ornaments my very talented cousin painted back when she was in elementary school. I have ornaments I made (and, man, are they some serious fug). And, I have an ornament made of toothpicks, sequins, cotton balls and plastic miniature horses which my cousin who died from cystic fibrosis made for me when she was a child.

In the end, I chose this one though:

Drummer boy

Come, they told me, pa-rum-pa-pum-pum ... It's the little drummer boy! With my name engraved on his head! It's brass (I guess). And, I think it kind of looks like me when I was a kid. I have had this Christmas tree ornament for as long as I can remember. I have no idea when I got it or who gave it to me, but it's the one ornament I could be sure that *I* got to hang on the tree every year.

And, it's the one ornament I could put on the tree that was guaranteed not to be moved by mymother, who is famous for her tree-redecorating. Apparently, it was important to her for us to help decorate the tree; however, all the ornaments my brother and I had handmade and had proudly hung in the front of the tree would mysteriously migrate to the back of the tree by Christmas.

I forgot to take a picture of my purple tinsel tree this morning. gah. I promise I will post a picture tomorrow.

In other news, I got my hair cut. Most of the color has been cut out now, so if you want to see me with as close to my natural hair color as you will ever see, you need to see me before January 6th (which is my next hair appointment). The carpet, it is matching the drapes right now.

After the hair appointment, I met Robert at Jandara in Woodley Park for dinner. The fried green beans were YUMMY. The other thing I had - vegetables in yellow curry and peanut sauce- was fair-to-middlin'.

Once I got home, I finished a pair of knittens and went to bed. Yay! Bed! Bed is good. I like bed.

Not much on the agenda today. Laundry. Margot is coming over to pick up a bicycle. And, I need to work on StickSteven.

The weather forecast said something about snow flurries tonight or tomorrow. That is so not right.

more later.
*smooches*

6 comments:

  1. I heart that blender! I would really love to have an ornament like that!

    Snow flurries ... ha! We have a blizzard going on right now! The roads yesterday were simply terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what if you don't have holiday decoration? first the treeless people get discriminated. now, you discriminate against decoration-less folk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. People should really just relax about the meme.

    Love the blender, but would have preferred it filled with a frothy cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Blender is hysterical! I want one.

    My mother unloaded all of her ornaments on me when she moved. They are still in a box downstairs. This is like the 2nd tree I have had in 8 years, and it's decorated with new non-emotionally connected ornaments. For some reason using those old ones from my childhood depressed me, maybe because they look REALLY old, much like me!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I think I'll decorate after all, just so I have an excuse to post a picture of a gingerbread phallic fertility charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It snowed here last night.

    I don't have any ornaments at all, so I can't play your cute meme.

    ReplyDelete