Wednesday, December 27, 2006

It's the Song of Peace

Last night, I drove to Target. Normally, I love the Target. Last night, not so much. It was crowded, filled to the brim with pushy self-important MetroArea-ians shoving their gigantic carts overflowing with 50% off Christmas decorations and wrapping paper and cards and various other assorted Xmas sundries. The Spirit of Christmas apparently dies on Christmas Day. People's true natures shine forth.

I loaded my cart with that which I needed: 38 lbs of kitty litter, 2 bags of cat food, toilet paper, mouthwash, lotion for extra dry skin, and Bette Midler. Not the real Bette Midler. She's not for sale at Target. But, I decided to treat myself to her Xmas CD, Cool Yule, after reading a positive review on Rebel Prince's blog last week (or was it the week before?).

I drove home. Traffic. Cars. See above re: MetroArea-ians. I stopped off to gas up the rental. I unloaded the car and hopped a bus to exciting, hip, happening Downtown Silver Spring. The bus was free ... which kind of pissed me off. Back when Mike was cat-sitting, I bought him a 20 trip bus pass. He kept forgetting to use it. Then, he forgot to give it back to me until last week. It still has about 15 trips on it, but it expires on Dec. 31. I'm trying to take the bus everywhere to get my money's worth. AND, when the bus is FREE, it doesn't help me.

I suppose it is really stupid of me to complain about that, but ... whatever.

Anyway, I met my friend and former co-worker, Dana, and some of her friends at Austin Grill for a drink. I missed happy hour by 5 minutes. I looked at the bartender and said, "Come on. It's Christmas." He just stared back at me blankly. Doofus. It was good catching up with Dana (Hi, Dana!). She and her friends when to eat at Macaroni Grill (yuck), and I returned home (by bus) after stopping off at the likker store to pick up a bottle (OK, two bottles) of wine.

Once home, I cracked open one of the bottles, reheated leftover soup, popped in a Melrose Place DVD, and cast on the Never-ending Right Sleeve of Doom of the Never-ending Sweater of Doom. This sleeve is going to be trick.y. There are several parts of the instructions that me no understand. Once I get the cuff knitted, I may be blogging for help. HELP.

I went to bed around 11. As I lay there in the dark, I felt this overwhelming sense of loneliness. I don't know. Maybe I was thinking about last year. And how happy (or deluded?) I was and comparing it to this year. Or maybe I was forecasting the future. No matter, it felt like there was a clamp on my heart. My chest hurt. I felt empty. I cried myself to sleep.

I feel better this morning. Every now and then, a good cry helps :-)

I returned the car at 7:30. Bought myself some coffee and a cinnamon crunch bagel from Panera and steeled myself for Day 2 of the Slowest Work Week of the Year.

*many happy smooches of joy*

1 comment:

  1. You turned in the rental car? Suddenly the streets and highways in and around D.C. seem so much safer...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete