Monday, December 11, 2006

For Unto Us a Child is Born

I'm listening to my Messiah CD ... I think track ten on disc 1 (For unto us a child is born) is my favorite. I mean, who doesn't love "The Hallelujah Chorus" ... but, I remember playing this part in concert band. The alto sax played the viola part of the song and *fuck* it was difficult. 16th note city, babydoll. *whew*

The feeling of accomplishment after making it through that section without fucking up was amazing.

Anyway, my weekend was SuperFantastic. Yes, it was. Mm-hmm. [Ha. That reminds me of my Chinese students. They would always make the 'mm-hm' sound after verbally agreeing to something.]

Although, I have now solemnly sworn *not* to attend 3 holiday events in one weekend ever again. Friday's happy hour was fun. Tomoko, Robert, Darryl, and his friend visiting from NYC joined me at Halo for a couple of rounds of drinks. Later, Tomoko, Robert and I met Mike for dinner at Thai Tanic. Yum. After dinner, Tomoko and Robert went home and I headed over to Mike's to watch DVDs. On the way, we stopped at Safeway. I called Darryl, and, according to Mike, I was talking too loudly.

We got into a little argument about it. Basically, he said I was being loud on the phone and when he mentioned it, I got louder. [I don't remember him mentioning it. I also think I was talking in a normal voice and that the store was fairly quiet making it seem louder]. And that everyone was staring. I said he was embarassed because people could tell we were gay.

Of course, that made him launch into a long lecture about how that wasn't true.

So, instead of going to watch movies, I left him at his doorstep and went home. He called a few minutes later telling me to come back because it was cold out [How come he never did that when we were "dating?"]. I was already on the bus, but I wouldn't have come back anyway. I was in drunk and stubborn mode.

Saturday morning, I was tres hungover. I spent most of the day blobbing around the house. I called Mike and apologized ... not because I thought I was wrong, but for being argumentative and stubborn. Around 6, I started getting ready for my second holiday event - a party thrown by Michelle's friend. We got to the party around 9. It was a lot of fun - full of friendly (and unfortunately straight) former Peace Corps volunteers. Drunk do-gooders. Woot! The coolest bit was being able to re-connect with my friends, Michelle and Laura, who I haven't seen in AGES. I left the party around 12:30 or 1. I called Mike, who was at another Xmas Party with Tomoko and Robert, to see if they wanted to meet up somewhere.

Originally, they did, but 5 minutes later, Mike called back and said everyone was tired and wanted to go home. Fortunately, he called before I was on the train and committed to going to Dupont Circle. I got home around 2, I guess.

Sunday morning, I wasn't nearly as hungover (woo hoo for increasing alcohol tolerance!). I headed out around noon to go to Barbara's brunch. It was full of yet another interesting DC type - the schmoozy State Department employee. Drunk and fun, but for an entirely different reason: Asking them all sorts of fun questions, like as a liberal Democrat, what's it like working for an administration that is the ideological opposite to what you believe? And how do you justify supporting and promoting its policies?

*heh*

Yeah. They loved me.

I did meet a really cute guy at the party. He pinged on the gaydar ... however, my gaydar is notoriously faulty ... and he mentioned an ex-girlfriend at one point ... oh, well. I'm going to scour the evite for his email address though (just in case). We talked for most of the time I was there.

I left the party around 3 or so, and hit the U and 14th shopping corridor. I had to buy a present for my brother's girlfriend, who I've met once. I have no idea what she likes, so I picked up a little makeup-like bag at Go Mama Go. It's made of recycled grocery bags.

On the way home, I stopped off at Whole Foods to buy ingredients for dinner. I ended up making a Chinese-inspired dish: pan-fried tofu with spinach and mushrooms in chili garlic sauce. Surprisingly yummy, considering I invented it on the fly. I may have the leftovers tonight for Meat-Free Monday [Do your part for the environment by enjoying a meat-free meal today!]. Although Mike and I talked about going over to his place tonight after work to watch the ANTM finale. If that happens, I'll probably have dinner over there.

*Happy Monday smooches*

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very nice weekend. I too was rather hungover on Saturday morning.

    I'm going to a sing-a-long Handels's Messiah concert this Friday. I love the Hallelujah Chorus. I can't sing, but that won't stop me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner is the best meal of the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called Mike and apologized ... not because I thought I was wrong, but for being argumentative and stubborn.

    It's always easier to apologize when we don't actually think we were wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cooper: you should audioblog, so we can all hear you singing.

    goblinbox: there are other evening meals?

    gayprof: Should I be insulted? ... but, yes, this apology was very easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "on the fly" culinary masterpieces. I try myself, but often end up with something gawd awful :(

    You have waay too much fun for one person! lol

    Thanks for the hug, I'm kinda feeling wonky today. Maybe it's this shift I'm working ..eh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't remember how many Cosmos I had at halo....

    ReplyDelete
  7. the persian: I just don't blog about the gawd awful ones.

    tomokito: 57.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "people could tell we were gay" - ha. ha. ha. in. so. many. ways.

    ReplyDelete