Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Meat-Free Monday: Stew? Who Knew?

Moorish Stew

Look! Moorish Stew! Kind of like what they make at Jaleo [my favorite restaurant, for those of you interested in buying me a gift certificate. It's almost Christmas, y'know!].

I found the recipe online somewhere. And, after learning that cardamon isn't the same thing as cumin, I had to make a few "adjustments."

Here's the real recipe [I made a half-recipe and some changes, which are in red]:

1/2 lb. dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight (1 can of cooked chickpeas, drained)
(1.5 cans of water)
1 head garlic (about 5 cloves of garlic)
1 bay leaf
2 medium-sized onions, 1 whole and
1 diced (1 onion, dice half and cut the other half into large chunks)
6 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish (I forgot to measure how much olive oil I used)
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
1 heirloom tomato, also coarsely chopped
1 tsp. paprika (um. chili powder, I just shook it over the pan until it looked right)
1 tsp. ground cumin (curry powder. as above.)
1 lb. spinach, cleaned and stemmed
Salt to taste
4 slices baguette, toasted and trimmed into rounds (Whole Foods whole wheat crostini things)

1. Drain chickpeas, and put into a saucepan with water to cover, adding garlic, bay leaf, and a whole onion. Cook over medium heat for about 1 hour, keeping chickpeas always covered with water; until chickpeas are tender. (Using canned chickpeas cuts the cooking time, which is why I cut the onion into chunks. I probably heated for about 15-25 minutes?)

2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and saute diced onion until soft, for about 5 minutes. Add tomato, paprika and cumin, and saute for 2 minutes to incorporate flavors. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Put onion mixture into blender, and process until smooth. Add blended mixture to chickpeas. Continue cooking until chickpeas are very, very soft. (I probably followed this almost exactly ... well except for the paprika and cumin parts and waiting for the mixture to cool to room temperature.)

3. Add spinach, and cook until spinach turns a darker green and wilts. Add salt to taste. Place in a bowl, garnish with toast rounds and serve. (I also added the coarsely chopped heirloom tomato when I added the spinach. And I garnished with the crostini things.)

In other news, today is my last day of work for the week! HAHAHAHAHA! Tomorrow I drive to NC. I will probably not be blogging until I get back after Xmas. Try not to miss me too much.

*smooches*

4 comments:

  1. That looks excellent. Drive safely, and have a wonderful Christmas, vuboq! You'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cardamom != cumin

    Not by a long shot...

    That recipe looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds a lot like the chickpea, garlic and spinach soup that we make. it's tres yummy. the recipe we have calls for cream or milk but we use coconut milk and it tasted even better.

    i hope your holiday time is wonderiferous!

    ReplyDelete