Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Pile of Groceries By My Door

As I put the cans
And bottles
And boxes
In the cupboard,
I feel his hands around my neck
Like a lover
Caressing, stroking.
Soft.
As I line up the liquor bottles
By height
And move the furniture one more time,
I feel his grip around my heart.
Bony fingers tightening
With each passing hour.
I make my lists
And plan and organize
And he's beside me
Watching.
I sweep and clean.
And tidy and straighen.
And he is there.
Waiting.
For his moment,
For me to form his question:

What if no one comes?

4 comments:

  1. If you party, they will come.
    If I had an extra plane ticket, *I* would come. From Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you were trying to be kind of tongue-in-cheek there, but that was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be there! It is, after all, the event of the season! And likker!

    That was kinda creepy, too. In a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to report that the brother of superfantabulous cousin (now baby daddy)has received the "Cuter than Jesus" t-shirt for the new baby. All is right in the world, now.

    ReplyDelete