Thursday, October 25, 2007

Olives and Cheese Brain Explosion!

OMG! I'm back from the Whole Foods (strike that off the list ... except I forgot to buy pretzels. I will have to pick those up tomorrow). And, can I just tell you how much I love the olive bar and the cheese section?

I love it so much that I can't even remember what I bought.

I know this:

From the olive bar: kalamata olives(!), mexican olives(!), olives with cinnamon and cardamon(!), and baby gherkins/cocktail pickles/whatever they're called (!).

From the cheese section: gorgonzola(!), applewood smoked gouda(!), something that begins with a W and has cranberries in it, and something else that I've completely forgotten, but I know I bought 4 different cheeses.

And, I totally splurged on those yummy Spanish almond things. I can't remember what they're called either.

I needed an olive bar/cheese section intervention.

Do you think that's enough olives and cheese (and nuts! and pickles!) for a party of between 15-20 people? Or should I get more? [Edited to note: People who are attending the party, there will be other food besides olives and cheese (and nuts! and pickles!)]

Hmm ...

1:40 PM Update: Completely unrelated to this post, but probably not deserving of an individual post in and of itself, I was emailing a friend and used what I thought was the plural of manservant. However, MS Outlook corrected my spelling. I scurried on over to Merriam-Webster online and, lo and behold, the plural of manservant really is menservants.

It still seems weird. Do most compound nouns pluralize both nouns in the compound? Can someone give me some examples?

6 comments:

  1. I am never the person to ask about grammar or spelling.

    I just bought some of WF cookies (chocolate with hazelnut). They were too insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, olives with cinnamon and cardamon sound so awesome! And I LOVE GORGONZOLA.

    I wish I could come to your party. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olives and cheese. Why, you've covered all the food groups!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, olives. The second love of my life.

    And mmmm, menservants? Hmm..

    ReplyDelete
  5. While we have olive oil and use it regularly, it occurred to me olives themselves aren't that popular back in Tokyo is what I realized when I went to the supermarket to pick up some olives :-) And a veggie sandwich with black olives is yummy! Olives rule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about sheepshank and sheepshanks? (Sheep could be plural in the second one.) No others come to mind. But what a fun puzzle. It'll keep me entertained today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete