Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Official 2007 BYOP Pumpkin Carving Party Wrap-Up

And, I swear, this is the last you'll hear of the BYOP until 2008. Promise.

I got home from work around 5:30, and, knowing that I had at least two hours before the guests starting arriving, I took my time getting ready. I warmed up a bowl of chili for myself. I made a cocktail. I casually arranged plates and cups and napkins and tableware. I checked the time - 6:15.

"Excellent," I thought to myself, "I have plenty of time before I need to start putting out food." I pushed the swiffer lazily around the living room again. At 6:30, my phone rang. "Hi, it's Mike," Mike said.

I thought to myself, "I wonder how late they're going to be?"

"We're here," he continued.
"You're joking," I responded. *click* The phone cut off.

He must be joking, and I waited for him to call back to tell me so. Then, I looked out my window, and there they were!

ACK! An hour early! ACK! PANIC! I knew they'd be hungry so I cranked up the heat on the chili and went down to let them in.

"What took you so long," Mike asked.
"Hey, kitten," said Darryl, with a hug and a kiss.
"You realize you're an hour early, don't you," I said.
"We came straight from work," Mike replied.
"Great. Come on in."

I put out some snacks really quick, told them to fix themselves cocktails, and mentally beheaded Mike. Twice.

Then, I put them to work, putting out the rest of the food.

The rest of the evening went wonderfully. In total, I think 16 people came. It's always good to see old friends ... and make new ones. Isabella was surprisingly social (maybe she's overcoming her shyness?). Many pumpkins were carved. Lots of delicious cocktails were drunk (and so were several people).

The last group of guests left around 1:30AM, I think. I tidied up a bit, with *some* help from Y ... even though he spent a lot of the time I was tidying on the sofa "resting his eyes."

We went to bed a little after 2, exhausted. When we woke up the next morning (around 10, thanks to a couple phone calls, a car alarm that wouldn't turn off, and a very pushy kitty), Y thanked me properly* for hosting such a fabulous party.

I was WAY hungover (and I don't even remember drinking that much). After the "thanking," I got up made coffee and toast with apple butter ... and went back to bed.

For what happened next, you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've uploaded the BYOP 2007 Photographs to Flickr. Clickr to see all the Pumpkiny Goodness.

*So I think that for spending one's entire monthly food budget on a party, one should get at least a blowjob in return. Right? Right?


  1. It sucks that I missed the BYOP due to traveling for work. Mmmm, Iowa. So... bland.

    Maybe next year!


  2. You sure know how to give a party. Thanking "one" properly is the first rule of correct etiquette. It's only good manners, right? I'm glad Y knows this ... ;)

  3. Being thanked also helps with hangovers.

  4. I get the attraction to Y, now!

    Was the retainer ever found?

  5. A blow job at the very least, I'd say.

  6. clio bluestocking: Yes, he found the retainer, wrapped in a paper towel, at the bottom of one of my trash bags (ew).

  7. And in the category of eww! (And that retainer thing was absolutely ewww!), with there be a BYOP to Compost party?