Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The More You Know ...

In the tradition of an even greater blogger than I, since it's Tuesday, I'm going to take this opportunity to teach you something.

Or not. Whatever.

First, a little quiz (because you know how we LURVE quizzes) ...

The photo is of:

(a) bell peppers
(2) cashews
(iii) Paris Hilton
(D) all of the above

The correct answer is ...

(2)

I first saw actual cashew fruit when I was travelling in Thailand in the late 90s. Having been an avid reader of National Geographic's World magazine during my formative years, I immediately pointed them out to my travelling companion, "Look, the ground is littered with cashews! Try not to step on them, because uncooked they can be a skin irritant!" We dutifully avoided smashing the cashews on the ground ... but I still managed to burn the soles of my feet later on the SuperWhiteHot sand at the beach. Gah.

Thailand was lovely though ...

*sigh*

I wish I were there now ... instead of at my desk eating leftover cashews from last night's cooking adventure.

And, speaking of my not-yet-arrived Stimulus Check, remember how I said I was going to put the whole thing into savings?

Well, I lied.

I signed up for the summer session of pottery before realizing I had no way to pay for it. Then, I remembered the Stimulus Check. Yay! So, I'll only be putting 2/3s of my Stimulus Check into savings with the rest paying for 10 weeks of pottery. Huzzah!

Finally, to end on a bright note, Tomokito called the White House Press Office and has confirmed that the Stimulus Check will be tax free. I had a sneaking suspicion that we would have to claim it next year. I am glad to have been proved wrong.

4 comments:

  1. Heather Outside Boston2:25 PM

    I knew they were cashews! :-) Did you know that they are related to both Mangoes and poison ivy? All 3 have the skin irritant oleo-resin (in the skin of mangoes). Guess what previously-mysterious uncomfortable and unattractive rash gave me the impetus to do that research? :-(

    I can hardly wait to see what you create in the summer pottery session. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:38 PM

    I was stimulated over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also knew they were cashews, having also been an avid World reader in my youth. Of course, I'm relatively insensitive to poison ivy, so I suspect I'd also have less to fear from unprocessed cashews. I've likewise never had a problem with mangoes. I loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:56 PM

    at least I knew it was NOT a picture of paris hilton.

    thanks for the enlightenment; I lerve cashews (unsalted please)!

    anne marie in philly

    ReplyDelete