Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Vutopia

Yesterday, the Mega Millions lottery drawing was for $370 million. Everyone in my office chipped in a buck and agreed to split the cash payout (There are about 12 of us here now).

We didn't win. In fact, it hasn't been announced if anyone won. If no one did, we'll probably play again on Friday.

It's only a dollar. And we only play when the payout gets ridiculously enormous. The way I look at it, at least, is that I'm paying for a chance to dream, to dream about how I would spend the money.

Sure I could still dream about it without paying the dollar, yet -holding those numbers in my hands, while gazing out the window, somehow makes it seem more real. Like it could actually happen. And, just in case it ever does, it's always good to have a plan of action.

For one thing, I hope I never win the gigantic lump sum all by my lonesome. I think my brain would explode simply thinking about all that money. $20-25 million dollars seems easier to wrap my head around.

By now, I'm sure you are asking yourself how would VUBOQ spend his $20-25 million dollars ... The answer is very simple. I would give it away.

The plan is that, once I've made sure that my family is comfortably set, I would set up 2 scholarship funds at my former universities. Then, using the rest of the money, I would create a non-profit organization with the purpose of providing full scholarships to deserving students, students who might not otherwise be able to go to college.

Oh, and I'd have a fabulous row house in DC.

And, what would you do if you won the lottery? How would you create Vutopia?

5 comments:

  1. It totally depends on how much I win but I'd split the prize in half and donate the half to the most efficient non-profit organization (unlike UNICEF *gasp*). The other half, I'd spend it for my travel, a new apartment, maybe, invest.


    or should I have said "I donate all" to make myself sound nicer? nah. :-)

    Have a pretty day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd get out of debt, give my parents and brothers some cash, keep an equal share for myself, and donate the rest to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother. I only have one brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like vutopia, is it a form of heaven but without bliss? and is vuboqia like a hell in which everything is painted brown?

    and, am i the only one who finds my witty outrageous comment hysterical?

    ReplyDelete