Once again, VUBOQ has put the mystery solving abilities of Fred, Daphne, and Velma to shame!
Earlier this week, I noticed that my water had a strong, distinct chlorine bleach smell to it. I asked several neighbors if they had also noticed it. They hadn't.
After conducting a little research online, I came across this on the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission's website:
Why does my water smell bleachy or musty?
Due to rain, ice and snowstorms, river conditions can produce strong bleachy odors and musty/earthy odors. The strong bleachy odor is not an indication of increased chlorine. The odor is a result of the combination of the chlorine used to disinfect and ammonia in the runoff water (rain, melting snow and ice) producing chloramines. Chloramines are not harmful and in fact are used by some utilities as the primary disinfectant. However, under certain circumstances, chloramines produce a very strong bleachy odor. There are no adverse health affects from the odor.
I am a mystery solving genius! Worship me, my minions!