Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Meat-Free Tuesday: Because for the First Time Ever (and Last Time) VUBOQ Posted a Recipe Using Meat on Meat-Free Monday

Wow. That's a long-ass title...

Anyway, good Wednesday morning, Kittens! I hope everyone is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning.

Yesterday evening was absolutely gorgeous, even though I had to suffer through a Co-op Board Meeting. Fortunately, the meeting started and ended with cocktails. That's how all board meetings should work. Srsly.

I discovered that if I opened up my bedroom window I could get a nice cool cross-breeze going. Plus, with the fan running, the traffic noise was mostly bearable ... until the buses started roaring by at a little before 5.

Prior to the Board Meeting (and after my martini), I decided to make a recipe I found on epicurious, Quinoa and Bulgur Salad with Feta. If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you probably have already realized that I made a few modifications in the recipe ...

1/3 cup 1/2 cup quinoa
4 cups 1 cup water [I cooked the quinoa in my rice cooker, so there would be no need to cook it in all that extra water. I mean, really, what's the point?]
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup medium bulgur [I have no idea if I used "medium" bulgur or not. I used whatever I had in my cabinet. It could have been large bulgur. Who knows?]
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon dried mint, crumbled dried oregano [The only mint I have is chocolate mint, and I thought that would taste weird ... and it's not dried.]
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 brine-cured black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and cut into slivers
2 radishes, quartered and thinly sliced [Radishes? Just ... just, ew.]
2-3 spring onions, thinly sliced [This is what I used instead of icky radishes.]
2 oz feta, coarsely crumbled (1/2 cup)
1 head Bibb lettuce, cut into 1/4-inch strips (4 cups) 2 leaves of red leaf lettuce, torn into pieces [I don't even know what Bibb lettuce is.]

I followed the instructions almost exactly as written. The only thing was that the bulgur wheat wasn't softening by soaking in warm water, so I heated it up in a pan for a few minutes.

And, voila!

More later. *smooches*

6 comments:

  1. Bibb is a type of butterhead lettuce (as is Boston lettuce). It forms a loose head and has relatively tender leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly12:35 PM

    ***I hope everyone is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning.***

    my eyes are tired and itchy, and my ass is as fat as it was yesterday.

    other than that, I FEEL G-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T! (said in a tony the tiger voice)

    one more day unitl the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love radishes! So crunchy and colorful!

    Mel already handled the Bibb lettuce issue so I don't have to. It's yummy and the leaves are more succulent than red leaf lettuce, to me at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh. "large bulgur" sounds dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bulgur is cooked by placing 1 part bulgur to 2 parts boiling water in a bowl and leaving it to sit for 15 minutes or so uncovered until the water is absorbed.

    ReplyDelete