Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Corporate Has Weird Logic

My boss emailed me this morning in reference to our annual pay/merit increase:

"Since the increase will be for one month, Corporate has only given us a 3% increase instead of 4%."

OK. My first thought was that, well, since our contract ends in one month, any increase is nice. But, then, I thought "WTF."

I mean, really, not giving an extra 1% because it's only for one month seems kind of petty. A 1% increase works out to an extra $10 per month (maybe less, I haven't bothered to do the actual math). Is the company in such dire straits that they can't afford that?

Also, knowing that we are all looking for new jobs, couldn't they give us the highest possible amount so that we have that extra little bargaining chip with our new employers? Not to mention that it could also affect the amount of our unemployment benefits if we don't find a job.

The Corporate Office is always trying to sell the line that they *care* about their employees, but a move like this smacks of hypocrisy and corporate self-interest.

6 comments:

  1. What is this thing "raise" to which you refer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly11:57 AM

    corporate america doesn't give a rat's ass about anyone but the top do-nothing jerkoffs.

    I have not worked for ginormous corporate america for the past 10 years and will never go back to that environment.

    sending good karma your way for the KSAs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you're going to be gone soon, why should they waste their ten dollarses on you? You'll probably just use it to buy likker once you're out on the streets. Besides, leaving just shows your lack of company loyalty, never mind that it's not exactly voluntary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo GayProf's sentiment.

    Anne Marie, I've worked in non-profit all my adult life and I haven't gotten a raise in over two years. It ain't just corporate America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really a cheesy excuse. As much sunshine they try to blow up employee asses, the only thing that really counts is the bottom line. Of course in a government job, it's different.

    ReplyDelete