Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Meat-Free Tuesday Frustration

Last night, I got home, fixed myself a martini, put in a movie, and began knitting [I'm making myself a SUPERCUTE hat]. The movie was The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada [which if you haven't seen, see it! It was excellent!].

About halfway through the movie, I started to get hungry. I decided to make my Meat-Free Monday meal, which I didn't make yesterday because I had leftover pizza. Mmm. Pizza.

On Monday, I had purchased a sweet potato, a bag of spinach, some goat cheese, and pine nuts. I couldn't wait! Goat cheese and sweet potato is one of my favorite combinations. I know it sounds a little gross, but, for some reason, the tangy goat cheese and sweetness of the potato really work!

I planned on microwaving the sweet potato. Then, adding the sauteed spinach and pine nuts and covering it with melted goat cheese. However, when I pulled the sweet potato out, it was soft and covered in mold. How could it have gone bad in only one day??? I was so disappointed. Fortunately, I have my receipt, so I'm going to Whole Foods and will hopefully be refunded.

As a last minute substitute, I boiled some pasta and mixed that with the sauteed spinach, toasted pine nuts, and goat cheese. I'll have enough for dinner tonight, too!

Here's the photo:

Pasta

It was good, but didn't quite hit the spot ... *sigh*
Stupid rotten sweet potato.

I spent a lot of time on the phone last night. Mike and I had a long talk about nothing much. Then, my friend from college, Lori, finally returned my Thanksgiving phone call. And, I briefly spoke with my cousin.

All in all, not a bad way to spend the evening.

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, that looks really good! Funny, though, how when you've built up an expectation of a certain food and you don't get it, your appetite isn't satisfied no matter how good the substition.

    40 degrees sounds positively balmy to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell you, that looks good enough to make me want to become meat free on Mondays. And I love martinis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly sounds like it would hit the spot. Sowwy bout the sweet potato :(

    Post a picture of the supercute hat when you are done!

    Can I "commission" one? I have a buzzed head and it gets awful cold here in Massachusetts in the winter.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dislike sweet potatoes, so I'm actually kinda into your pasta dish more than I would have been had it been a potato thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Screw the food -- I want to hear about what you do with your cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cooper: balmy! ha! reminds me of the time I was visiting my cousin in Ann Arbor in February. I was wearing everything I had packed. She and her friends were walking around with their jackets open talking about how warm it was.

    brad: You should definitely go Meat-Free on Mondays! And you should drink lots of martinis!

    le persian: I'll see what I can do, both about the photo and the "commission." No promises though.

    goblinbox: I don't know if I can be friends with someone who doesn't like sweet potatoes. :-(

    gayprof: I drink them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart ass. I meant, what's your vermouth and gin ratio? Do you shake or stir? Do you keep the gin in the freezer? Do you drink them naked?

    ReplyDelete