Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Hoarder

I have always been a saver. As a child, rather than buy comic books (like my brother), I would put my allowance in a cigar box, which I hid under my bed. Eventually, my parents helped me open my first savings account.

About three months into my second year of teaching high school, I realized that it would be my last year of teaching high school. I switched into High Savings Mode and managed to save enough to live for about 4 months before landing the job in Japan and flying there.

My last year of teaching in Japan, I once again switched into High Savings Mode and saved enough money to travel through Southeast Asia for several months and live for over a year in NC (with a part-time job and time spent teaching in Beijing) before starting graduate school.

Now, with my current unemployment crisis looming, it would seem that I have once again entered High Savings Mode:




I've managed to increase my savings account from less than 1.5 months' living expenses to a little over 3 months' living expenses. [Thanks in part to my tax refunds and the stimulus check]. Yay me.

Maybe I won't starve ... just yet.

More later. *smooches*

PS. The Straight Guy is sad.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your save-eryness. I myself currently have $4 in savings.

    ReplyDelete