Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Flowers, All in a Row

Yesterday, Jimbo blogged briefly about buying castor bean and red sorghum seeds for his garden, which got me to thinking about what to do with the tiny strip of land in front of my building (aka. the Chili Pepper Graveyard). I think the chili peppers did so poorly because they didn't get enough sun. The Graveyard gets strong morning sun, from sunrise until early afternoon. Then, it is plunged into shade. Several people I have spoken with, including the Super Gardener, DUN, suggested I plant flowers rather than veggies there.

Thus, during my morning break, I strolled over to Strosnider's and purchased the pictured seeds: Shady Mixture Wildflowers, Bright Light Cosmos, and Petite Marigolds. My concerns now are that there might be too much strong sun for the shade-loving wildflowers and that the marigolds and cosmos like full sun. A portion of the Graveyard does get mostly full sun (except for late afternoon), so I may plant the cosmos and some of the marigolds there. I think I will also put some marigolds in a planter.


In addition to the flowers, I bought Thai Basil Seeds. Mmm. Thai Basil. I love Thai Basil. I'm hoping to put a few seedlings in a couple small planters, which I can move around to insure they get enough sun. I wonder if Thai Basil-infused vodka would be any good?

6 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about what to plant for the Spring -- Which should be sometime in June from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think basil-infused vodka would be very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. basil-infused vodka sounds refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the flowers should do fine. if you find that they're a bit on the spindly side you can always pick up some miracle grow or other plant food. that tends to compensate for any lack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'd be nice to have a garden. Of course, I can barely keep my two potted plants alive, so...

    ReplyDelete