Thursday, December 06, 2007

Looks Like Flurries

My mom IM'ed yesterday evening to say this:

"I hear Silver Spring is getting Snow Flurries."

Now, I know living in the NC Mountains can sometimes skew people's definitions of snow; however, I responded:

"If you define flurries as over 4 inches and non-stop snow since early this morning, yes, we are getting snow flurries."

Meanwhile, I was overcome by a burst of cooking creativity last night ... in between loads of laundry, I ...

(1) Made Mush's cranberry cordial. The recipe says it takes 4 weeks, which means it won't be ready by Christmas. I am hoping to sneak a taste then anyway.

(2) Made Sweet Potato and Red Bean Soup. Here's what I did:

Bring approx. 4 cups of water to a boil.
Add chopped onion, sliced garlic, veggie boullion cube, and lemon slices.
After about 10 minutes, remove the lemon.
Add one diced sweet potato and a tablespoon or so of red curry paste.
Once the potato is nearly tender add a large can of red beans (no need to drain, but I can you could).
Add whatever orzo you have left in the box (I think it was about 1/2 cup. Maybe 3/4).
When the orzo is close to done, add in some fresh spinach. (I really wanted to use kale or some other slightly bitter green, but I didn't pick up any at the store today. Oh, well.)

The soup was actually quite yummy. Tangy and Spicy. Mmm. Mmm.

I also worked on (and nearly completed) the first draft of StickSteven's 2007 Year in Review. I need to buy a new fine point black pen. And some red and green markers.

Finally, to answer a few questions which have been left in the comments recently:

Clio Bluestocking asked, "Do they salt ANYTHING around here? I think I slid all the way to work today!"

VUBOQ responds, "No."
VUBOQ adds, "Nor do people shovel their forkin' sidewalks! GAH!"

Shigeki asked, "oh Wow. It's very white! Thanks for sharing the pic. So can you call in sick today due to snow?"

VUBOQ responds, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No."

Java Jones asked, "Can I vote more than once? If I can only chose one name to vote for, can I vote over and over and over and over for the very best blog in the Entire Universe?"

VUBOQ responds, "Of course you can. You may have to delete cookies on your peecee though."

Speaking of the poll ...

Create polls and vote for free. dPolls.com


I think I will close the voting this weekend, so make your voice heard! Vote for the Best Blog in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE today!

6 comments:

  1. I am impressed that your mother knows how to IM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't actually use that poll, because my favorite is V.U.B.O.Q.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems more people prefer the all caps version. I prefer the all miniscule version. But whatever, it is the same best blog in the Entire Universe.

    Snow. All over the blogosphere I read about snow. We got mopey looking skies and dead leaves. Even some cold nasty rain would help. We are so dry here in SC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your poll is missing something ... vuboq in italics! I would demonstrate but I don't know how using the comment section because I ride the short bus when it comes to computery stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I noticed the sidewalk thing, too. Also, snowdays (at least at my work) come the day after a snowday is actually required...not that I'm complaining, you understand! A snowday is a snowday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not actually the cordial I'm making. I just linked to it more or less at fuckin' random, apparently.

    Mine goes like this:

    Cranberry-Orange Cordial

    1 pkg. cranberries, roughly chopped
    Zest of 1 orange - no white
    1 bottle vodka.

    Steep for a month.

    Strain.

    Stir in a cooled syrup made of:

    1-3/4 c. sugar
    1 c. water

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete