Friday, December 07, 2007

On Golden Compass

I've been looking forward to seeing the movie adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, even though the reviews have been fair-to-middlin'.

Today, in WaPo critic Desson Thomson's chat, a commenter said:

Maybe you can explain this. Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books are just better than the Golden Compass Trilogy: smarter, incomparably better written, genuinely imaginative (polar bears in armor shows a deficient imagination). So why does the Golden Compass get the big movie treatment and LeGuin gets a cheesy made for TV flick?

Can someone please explain to me how polar bears in armor show a deficient imagination? Does everyone imagine polar bears wearing armor? Is that a common theme in adolescent fantasy literature?

I dunno, but the book seemed imaginative to me ...

Does that mean I'm unimaginative?

And, now, I'm off to buy booze! This deficiently imaginative VUBOQ needs a DRINK.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book (never imagined polar bears in armor either, so I must be truly unimaginative) but I do want to see the movie because, first, girl hero (yea!); and, second, Daniel Craig. Actually, mostly Daniel Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imaginative or not, armored polar bears are just plain bitchin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the boxed set of His Dark Materials last year for my birthday.

    Yes, I'm a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading the series when the first book came out and read it in serial and then have sat down and read them back to back. They are beautifully written.

    If the commenter couldn't get anything more out of the books than armored bears, I feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even freakin' heard of this Golden Compass book, and I devour YA fantasy.

    I read Earthsea, though. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw the trailer for this when I saw Enchanted last evening. It looks wonderful, and certainly not lacking in imagination.

    ReplyDelete