Thursday, December 27, 2007

Something Is Amiss

Take a look at the screenshot from my homepage this morning:

Obviously you will need to click to embiggen.

See what's wrong? Do you? Do you?

No?

Here's a hint: It's not 83 degrees right now.

Meanwhile, my evening was uneventful. I did laundry. I drank martini. I cooked dinner. I drank beer. I watched movie. I drank cordial.

I vomitted.

Ha! I jest. I didn't vomit.

My plans for this evening include an exciting rental car trip to Target ($25 gift card! woot!) and maybe Trader Joe's! And, that's about it. I really need to start cleaning and tidying. SCGB suggested that we co-host a New Year's Eve Party. If we decide to do that in my apartment there is some serious cleaning that needs to be done. Gah.

As far as I know, my date for Friday is still on. I need to find a good place in DC for martinis. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

And now, here's the third and final poem of mine from Colonnades (1990). Try not to get too excited, there are still more magazines ahead ...

The Wind It Whispers

The wind it whispers; the green grass grows.
The violets stretch for the sun.
The galloping unicorn leaps across the sky
In the Valley of the One.
The fairies dance among daffodils.
Here a child can't cry.
For in the Hollow of Hope and Love
A second will never die.
Deep blue water reflects the light
Of porpoises at play.
The elfin folk make merry laughs
In the Land of Always Day.
No thunder claps, no lightning bolts,
No hail to smash the corn.
No one would dare to hurt the earth
Where Peace and Joy were born.
The time has come I say to you
To journey to this land
For soon, you see, we shall be dust
In a desert of dirt and sand.

*cough*

Actually, it's not all bad poetry. There is also some bad fiction. In fact, my bad fiction won 2nd place ($50! woot!) in the 1990 Colonnades. The story is long (and bad), but I like the beginning and the ending. The middle is full of teh suck. I may type those up at some point. Don't hold your breath though.

6 comments:

  1. A high of 98 tomorrow? Wow. Hope your date is nice and sweaty. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want 80 degree weather! *pouts, and watches the snow turn to mud*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does the WaPo say it's 83 deg? Is it still saying silly things like that?
    Do we know who you are dating on Friday night? Or is this the Luke 2:19 date?
    Favorite vuboq word so far: embiggen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Galloping unicorns? Dancing fairies? At least you didn't spell it "faeries". *snigger*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't type. Scan and OCR. It's the aughts, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you go from Martini's to Beer?

    ReplyDelete