Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Nickname

For four summers, I taught US Geography at a camp for Asian exchange students. My roommate, Don, was an Iowan dairy farmer, part-time college English professor, and a part-time high school Spanish teacher. One evening, after work, we were talking about low-performing students (in general, not at the camp), and Don said, "I call 'em pabs."

"Pabs," I asked. "What does that mean?"

"Peaked At Birth. It's all down hill from there."

And we both laughed.

This morning, while attempting to create a moniker for "the Date," I realized his initials are P.A.B. And I laughed.
PAB called last night. On Saturday, he's going to pick me up for brunch, and, then, we are going to the newly reopened National Portrait Gallery. Fun times, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray, i can't wait to hear al;l about it. If the Joseph Cornell exhibition is still up definitely check it out. I had to have visited it at least five times before I left Washington it was so good!

    ReplyDelete