Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Unemployment Day 4

Good Morning, Kittens!

How was the commute into work today? Traffic was great? Did you have to sit by some smelly man in a never-been-dry-cleaned-five-year-old suit on the train? I feel your pain. Really.

VUBOQ is thinking that rather than numbering his unemployment in days, he may start doing it in bottles of gin. Martini, anyone?

This morning, I sent off two resumes. One for a job (!); the other to an EPA contact. The EPA contact responded in, like ,5 minutes. I was surprised. He said my resume is "impressive" and that he'll circulate it among the branch chiefs. HUZ-zah. Maybe something good will come of it.

Today, I have a BOATLOAD of laundry to do. *ugh* Plus, I need to go to the Whole Foods and the likker store (Unemployment Bottle of Gin 1 starts tonight!).

Mike invited me to join him at AU for lunch, but I don't think I'll make it. Maybe next week ... I need to schedule a hair appointment with Leah the Colornatrix soon and the salon is near AU.

Guess that's it, for now. Are you all working on your spectacular cold soup recipes for the contest? Don't forget the deadline is August 15th. Rules are here.

There will be prizes. So get crackin'!

*smooches*

5 comments:

  1. Some tips from someone who's been unemployed more than a few times:

    I wouldn't count the days since you were first unemployed. Dwelling on it will drive you mad.

    Yeah, COBRA does suck. Of course if you don't get it you'll grow a tumor and have a heart attack the next day.

    You can only spend so much time job hunting each day. I eventually got down to 2-4 hours. Then the rest of the time is for you, your personal development, and renewing friendships (and networking) at lunch dates.

    Most temp agencies and job websites (Monster, Hotjobs, etc.) suck. Your best leads will be from friends, be shameless about your unemployment and don't stop talking about it. Eventually, your friends will find you a job for you to make you stop whining.

    Most of all, don't freak out. You will survive and you will get a job that you will like. Be picky if you can. It may take months, so you must be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, I know someone who has found marvelous jobs through the Washington Post website. Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, the traffic (at least from NoVA to DC) has been incredible so far this week. You chose a bad time to be unemployed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since my hours are later than most, the train in never crowded and I always get a seat, usually with no one next to me.

    But thanks for your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back from girl's weekend. We had a bucket of Cosmos. That might have helped.

    Good luck on the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete