Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Oscar Project

For my birthday this year, SuperKnitter Chelsea sent me a book, Knitting for Peace. It is filled with wonderful charity knitting ideas - hats for preemies, sweaters for orphans, etc. etc. etc. As I sat on my sofa, surrounded by piles of leftover yarn from knitting 5 Harry Potter scarves, I came across the perfect project.

Not only did it use the exact same yarn I used for my Harry Potter scarves (Plymouth Encore Worsted), but it could also be knit in memory of someone who played an important, but brief, role in my life, Oscar, the DemonDog Puppy from Hell.

Using a simple garter stitch and lots and lots of leftover yarn, I could make a blanket for a cute (or not-so-cute) puppy or kitty at the animal shelter where John and I picked out Oscar.

As this idea bounced around in my head, I realized that maybe lots of people have lots of leftover yarn from knitting Harry Potter scarves. Maybe they could use that yarn to make blankets too! Or they could pool their leftover yarn and one lucky knitter could make a blanket!

And, thus, the Oscar Project was born. Now, I need to figure how to get the word out.

Blanket


In other news, I did nothing last night but eat, knit, and watch movies. I went to bed early. It was lovely. Tonight is laundry night. *woot*

I live teh exciting life!

5 comments:

  1. One of my goals in life is to eventually learn how to crochet and make afghans. I really need to look up classes for that sort of thing.

    I love your knitting posts, and I envy those Harry Potter scarves mightily. :)

    Sassy

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all, I so admire that you are able to knit in summer as well. When it's humid and hot here, I don't feel like doing it at all.

    Blankets? wow. I am so amazed. all I can do at the moment is pray :-)

    Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sassy: Try teaching yourself to crochet! Learn to Crochet or Crochet at About.com

    You can do it!

    Shigeki: What are you praying for? Cooler weather?

    The blanket is not going to be very big - only about 48 inches square. So knitting it in hot, humid weather shouldn't be too much of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make a new blog, post the project and the materials and the pattern or book etc., then go post info about it at whatever knitting forums you belong to!

    Boom! A knit-along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. goblinbox: potential problem: I don't belong to any knitting forums.

    What the H is a "knitting forum?"

    ReplyDelete