Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cooking with Squash

It was a gabillion degrees outside yesterday, so I -naturally- decided to cook something that required lots of boiling, stirring, and optimal use of the gas burners. I. am. clever.

I picked up a yellow squash, some spinach, and a lime (for the Dark&Stormy) at Whole Paycheck on the way home.

Then, the cooking:

Step one: Make Dark&Stormy.

Step two: Boil water. Add 1/2 cup of orzo. Cook 11ish minutes.

Step three: Repeat Step one.

Step four: Heat frying pan. Add olive oil. Toss in a couple smashed garlic cloves and a sprig of rosemary (from the bush in the front yard). Toss in thinly sliced red onion. Thinly sliced yellow squash. Once sort of soft and browned, add some leeeeeeeeeeetle tomatoes and spinach.

Step five: Repeat Step one and three.

Step six: Drain cooked orzo. Mix in some crumbled feta and toasted pine nuts.

Step seven: Arrange orzo and squash mixture lovingly on cute plate, like so:

Dinner

Step eight: Repeat steps one, three, and five.

Step nine: Eat, Drink, Be Mary.

Hope everyone had a fun Meat-Free Meal on Monday!

In other news, tonight, I am having dinner and movies with Mike (not the Convertible One). He is dog-sitting for Bob and Bernard, and they have a fantastic house with a HUGE television. And lots and lots of booze. *woot*

And a fully functioning air conditioner. My a/c is fine, but towards the end of the Summer it tends to grow weary of actually making the air "cool" and settles for "lukewarm." Perhaps, I should start a "Buy VUBOQ a New A/C" fund.

Speaking of funds, does anyone know anything about Stock Index Funds? And, I mean, not what they are (I know that), but how one goes about starting one. I have a pretty neato idea. Of course, since we are in the Age of PoMo, someone else has probably already thought of and patented it (or whatever).

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I think that A/C should be added to the UN charter of Human Rights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gayprof: It isn't on there already? We should organize! A/C NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are saying this VUBOQ.. A/Cs are BAD for the environment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. bala wala shi: Not as bad as some things though. It's all about compromises. Besides, once everyone has contributed to my "Buy Vuboq a New A/C" fund, I will be sure to buy one that uses non-ozone depleting coolants and is Energy Star rated ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mate, I wasn't even gonna mention A/C but since it's the theme, just turn it off! I live in Aus without it so I'm sure you can manage!

    Anyhoo, just wanted to say cheers for the recipe! Does it be ok if I crack a tinnie rather than swig a d&s?

    ReplyDelete