Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Off the Hump

Good Morning, Kittens!

Happy Tuesday. Is it raining with you? Talk to me.

Pottery class was fun last night. I practiced "throwing off the hump," which really isn't as dirty as it sounds (although it is a lot of sloppy fun). Basically, throwing off the hump is a technique potters use to throw lots of small objects quickly. Of course, since I had never done it before, it was a technique I used to throw a few small objects slowly ...

When you throw a single pot, you center the clay and make the pot. When throwing off the hump, you use a large piece of clay (I used about 5.5 lbs) and you really only have to center the top of the clay (the hump). Then, you make a little cup or bowl or whatever at the top of the hump, cut it off, recenter the new top of the hump, and throw another little cup or bowl or whatever.

Easy. Peasy.

Except for the centering just the top, throwing the little cup, cutting the little cup off, and re-centering the new top of the hump. That was difficult.

I ended up making 5 little shot glass like things. The original goal was to make them similar sizes (a-hahahahahaha). Let's just say that didn't happen.

After class ended, SCGB gave me a ride home. Then, we had wine and cake and gossiped. Oh yeah. We talked about you (but we only said good things. Honest).

Oooooh. And guess what? I got tickets to see a talk at the university by Tim Gunn! Teh Funz!

And, that's about it. I need to accomplish more today than I did yesterday (which shouldn't be hard since yesterday I accomplished nothing).

More later. *smooches*

7 comments:

  1. I love your description of how easy it was to throw off the hump. I always had a hard time centering a large chunk of clay. I wasn't strong enough, and probably still am not strong enough.

    Hope you have a gloriously productive day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you and SCGB said mean things about me!

    To apologise, you'd better give me one of these shot glasses. The biggest one. And FULL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you going to pottery classes? I need a hobby that doesn't involve penises, drugs, or children. Well, on second thought, I would be okay with a pottery class that featured a lot of the first two, as long as there weren't any children around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Eurythmics shout-out.

    It is indeed raining here. Bleah.

    I would have been shocked if SCGB and you had NOT talked about me. I am a compelling topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everybody should be talking about me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anne marie in philly1:00 AM

    no one can talk about me cause I don't have a blog!

    bwhahahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim Gunn? At the university? When!!!!

    ReplyDelete