Friday, October 31, 2008

Do You Have to Let it Linger?

Good Morning, Kittens!

And Happy Halloween! Hope you all have on your scariest masks today! I'm sure you do!

As the holiday season approacheth, I think we should discuss a very important topic. Namely, you've been taken in by all the "Holiday" advertising and, now, you don't know what to do with all those Forkin' cranberries you purchased.

I mean, really, no one in your family likes cranberry sauce anyway. Yet, you still went out and bought the 5 pound bag from Costco ("It was on sale," you say ... secretly knowing that it was on sale b/c no one in his right mind buys that many cranberries).

Fortunately, you read this blog. And I'm going to share with you a few ideas on how to use All Those Extra Forkin' Cranberries*:

Idea #1: COMPOST.

'Nuff said.

Idea #2: Pasta Sauce ...

Saute some onions, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil.

Add chopped zucchini, cranberries, a can of diced tomato, and ... well, hello Chef's Little Helper.


Simmer. That popping sound you hear? That would be the cranberries bursting forth with their juicy tart goodness.

Serve over pasta of some sort.


Mmmmmm ...

Idea #3: Cranberry Orange Infused Vodka ...
Cranberries + Orange zest + Vodka + about 1 week = YUM (hopefully)

You're Welcome.

Guess who's Guest Posting over at Le ShallowGal? Why don't you click over there and check out the Best Guest Post EVAR!?

*smooches*

*Which is very generous, considering VUBOQ's uncle (on his mother's side) died in a Horrible Cranberry Harvesting Accident** a few years ago.

**I'm serious. He had a heart attack. It was very sad. VUBOQ had to cut short his vacation in Las Vegas.

11 comments:

  1. I don't like fruit with my entrees. I just don't. I don't even bother with cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. I don't go near it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in philly12:07 PM

    "I mean, really, no one in your family likes cranberry sauce anyway." - not true, we do. also applesauce, preferably home made chunky applesauce.

    Idea #3 sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. There's cranberry sauce without the little ridges in it? What????

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had Bossy at Vodka. What were you saying?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the guest post over at ShallowGal, btw.

    I disagree with David. I think fruit goes well with lots of entrees. This one looks intriguing.

    But I prefer my cranberry sauce in a monolithic cylinder with ridges around the circumference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, I was hoping there would be some infusion going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm vodka....

    and srsly, you are SO guest posting at my place sometime soon. please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg that recipe sounds amazing!

    Happy (Belated) Haloween :)

    Miss u!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This year I am all about decorating with the berries. I am going to fill hurricanes with them and add candles.

    I hope it is as Martha as I envision it to be.....and they don't attract mice, bugs, fruit flies or other nastiness.

    ReplyDelete