Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Meat-Free Monday: Curried Pumpkin Bisque Edition

Although, I suppose it was more of a soup than a bisque.

Good Morning, Kittens!

Yesterday, I slept in (hurrah!) and, then, worked on a government essay question (ugh). Oh, and I took a nap. Naps Rock!

Later, I managed to pull myself up off the sofa and walk to the bank (to deposit the money from the antiques show job) and the Whole Foods.

I decided to make this: Curried Pumpkin Bisque with Cheddar Cheese ... with a few modifications:

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups finely chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (I used an entire bell pepper and didn't bother seeing how many cups that was)
1 teaspoon curry powder (i just shook a whole bunch into the pot)
5 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth vegetable broth
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup one can crushed tomatoes with added purée
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage one sprig fresh rosemary
1 cup (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Add curry powder and stir 1 minute. Add 5 cups broth and next 4 ingredients and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat, adding more broth if soup is too thick.) Ladle soup into bowls. Top with grated cheese.

And, this was the result:
Hello, Chef's Little Helper!


OMG! It was so good! I ate TWO (and a half) bowls! YUM!

Have a wonderful day! *smooches*

7 comments:

  1. Easy now. You may make Swankymama want to cook. And then you would be my family's hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rn terri10:34 AM

    The soup looks de-licious! I also just got a chance to see your red post, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had leftover turkey. For lunch AND dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I loves teh pumpkin. I am definitely saving this recipe to make soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want you in my kitchen.
    Looks better than my cheese stick fo'sho.

    P.S my "word code" sayd "wardfani"
    *giggles and hangs head in utter shame*

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've got some butternut squash that is needing to find a tummy. this sounds like a lovely recipe though i think i'll have to add some chickpeas to it and serve it over rice

    yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, curried pumpkin with cheddar sounds wrong. Second, have you EVER followed a recipe!?!?!?

    Oh, how I utterly *heart* you!

    ReplyDelete