Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Nokia 6650: It Sure Is Purty

Good Afternoon, Kittens!

I'm off observing all the Anti-Abortion Roe v. Wade Protesters march to the Supreme Court and burn Abortion Providers in effigy*. But, you can still experience the Joy That Is Reading a VUBOQ Post, because I decided to finally write a short little review of the phone I test-drove awhile back, the Nokia 6650. You can follow the Nokia Chronicles here (I'm Chapter 2). And, my Nokia-related blogposts are tagged nokia6650chronicles.

So, here are my thoughts on the phone ...

The Nokia 6650 is pretty, all brushed metal and shiny. It looks good, and it's not too heavy. I totally *heart* clamshell phones, because, when I use them, I feel like I'm actually using a phone and not some tiny little non-phone like thingy that is miles away from my mouth, "Can you hear me now? huh?" That was not a problem with the 6650.

It had some SuperFun and Totally Useful features, like the 2.0 MegaPixel Camera and a Yellow Pages thingy and a GPS thingy. And, probably some others which I am not technically sophisticated enough to figure out.

I used the Yellow Pages a couple of times to find stores in DC. I would know the general neighborhood, but couldn't find the exact location. Select the Yellow Pages Icon, type in the shop's name, and in a few moments -voila!- there it is! With a map! Sweet!

And, then, when driving to my brother's house for Christmas, I used the GPS feature once I got to Greensboro. Greensboro is a totally weird city. Streets randomly change names and directions. The 6650's GPS was helpful, but not perfect. Of course, it takes time to get used to any GPS system [think of the TV commercial "turn left ... (man drives car into store window) ... in 50 feet"] . I was expecting this GPS to talk. It didn't. I'm not sure why. Maybe it doesn't ever talk, or maybe I had my phone settings set incorrectly. Anyway, I had to hold the phone up to see the map as I drove. This was not fun, and probably the reason why -even with the GPS- I made a few wrong turns. Once I arrived at my brother's apartment (it took about 10 minutes), I noticed that the phone was very hot. That didn't seem like a good thing.

But, really, all I need a cellphone to be is a cellphone. I don't need a music player. I don't need a GPS System or Yellow Pages or any of the other extra features all cellphones seem to come with these days. I need a cellphone to talk to people, to send text messages, and to take pictures/video sometimes (especially when I forget my other camera). The Nokia 6650 meets my basic cellphone needs, and, if it had a full QWERTY keyboard, I would be even more enthusiastic about it.

Have a great day! *smooches*

*This probably won't happen, but one can hope, right?

1 comment:

  1. "Streets suddenly change names and directions" Oh, you mean like DC? People tell me if you can count and say the alphabet, you can get around DC, but I remained entirely unconvinced.

    ReplyDelete