Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Swolled

Good Morning, Kittens!

We have snow! We have ice! The soup I made last night was Delicious! I'll share the recipe later, but first ... Here's what my eye looked like last night:



And here it is this morning:

0128091015.jpg

WTF? Gross.
And, VUBOQ really needs to wash his hair.

In other "good" news, at our annual stockholders meeting, I was re-elected to the Board. Hurrah.

And here's the soup recipe:

Adapted from [a cookbook, the name/author of which I have forgotten] ...

Southwestern Corn and Cheese Chowder

Ingredients:
2 extra large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
6 cups homemade vegetable broth
1 bottle of Mexican beer
2 tsps ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
A Little Pat of Butter
1 can (16 oz) creamed corn
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
2 tsps chili powder
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 lb Monterey Jack cheese
Salt to taste

1. Place the sweet potatoes, 3 cups of broth, the beer, cumin, and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then simmer until the potatoes are crisp-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
2. Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in large stockpot over medium-high heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes with the cooking liquid to the onion and stir in the remaining broth as well.
3. Add the creamed corn and green chilies to the soup and season with the chili powder. Gradually stir in the milk and cream. Simmer the soup uncovered 10 minutes.
4. Shred the cheese. Reduce the head under the soup to low and add the shredded cheese, stirring until just melted. Season with salt. Serve. Eat. Enjoy.

Have a great day! *smooches*

14 comments:

  1. ouch. rough sex?
    what was the non-vegetarian part of that soup that you vegetarianized? (Is too a word!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pacalaga: I wish it were the result of rough sex. Unfortunately, I think it's a sty or something. I had this white bump on my eyelid for awhile. Now everything is all swolled and icky.

    As for the soup, the non-vegetarian part was that it called for 6 cups of chicken stock. And, instead of sauteing the onions in butter, it said to first cook 4 sliced of bacon in the stockpot. Then, remove bacon and use the fat for the onions. After the soup has cooked, crumble the bacon into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, what happened to you, Vuboq? Hope this sty is gonna go away soon.

    Also, I think you forgot one or two whisky shots in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, where's the cook's little helper? Was that the Mexican beer? Well, I think I'll have to try this once I've remembered not to compost vegetable scraps and put them in the freezer instead.

    Hope your eye unswells soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking it's pink eye. Want me to call the cutey-patootie cardiologist and see if he'll prescribe something?

    (PS: don't touch the baby, pink eye is uber contagious)

    xoxo, SG

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Jujupiter has it ALMOST right; the shots of whiskey come BEFORE you make the recipe.... Especially if you have snow and ice. (Ick. And that's about the snow and ice. And the eye, too... So double ick.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:04 PM

    VUBOQ,
    That doesn't look like pinkeye to me! There's this thing called periorbital cellulitis that your eye looks like it could have. It may be something else but you may want to rule that out. Google it and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It could be a sty or a chelazian, which is a sty on the inside of the eyelid, instead of the outside. There were a few years where I was getting them on and off pretty regularly and they were awful. Hot compresses work but your eye doctor can give you an ointment or drops that also work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. anne marie in philly6:07 PM

    I think VUBOQ needs a good stiff drink, or two, or three...

    and some antibiotics.

    (raises a buttery nipple in toast to your getting well soon! that's a DRINK, you perverts!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww -- yum! And love your innovative and magnetic metal cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That eye? Just doesn't look right.
    I'm guessing it needs some antibiotic ointment.

    I do the Canadian version of the corn chowder with white potatoes and Canadian bacon and shredded carrots. No Mex spices or cheese. I may try your version next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm making this for dinner tonight! But instead of corn, I'm gonna use cape may lima beans (frozen from the fall harvest). Creamed lima beans? Will let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. give us an update on the eye BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I could see in my google reader was your picture and then a tiny bit of the blog title and I thought it said "Stoned" and I was very excited.

    What happened anyway? And don't give me the old "I ran into a door" trick.

    ReplyDelete