Tuesday, November 04, 2008

You Never Forget Your First ...

In 1988, I turned 18. The first time I voted was in the North Carolina Democratic Primary, and I cast my ballot for the senator from Tennessee, Al Gore. Even at such a young age, I had impeccable taste in politicians.

20 years later and I can honestly say that I have never been as excited about an election. I can not wait to go up the street to the elementary school, buy some PTA Baked Goods, stand in line, and vote*.

It's been a long time since I've voted *for* someone rather than against his opponent.

After casting my ballot for the only true Maverick** on the ballot, Ralph Nader***, SCGB and I are going to swing by Starbucks for Free! Coffee! Then, I'm going to the grocery store to buy the ingredients to make tomato soup. And grilled cheese sandwiches. YUM.

No one has invited me to a Results Watching Party though. Wah. I guess I'll just follow along at home (NPR Rox!) ... and, hopefully, crack open a bottle of bubbly at the end of the night!

Now, GO VOTE, KITTENS!

More later! *smooches*

*And, it's not just because I have a Vote "Date" with SCGB.
** Did you know there are like 65 people running for president? Besides the big 2, there's Ralph Nader (Independent), Cynthia McKinney (Green), Bob Barr (Libertarian), and some guy representing the Constitution Party (Chuck Baldwin).
***I'm not really voting for Ralph. Srsly.

9 comments:

  1. I've got to cram on my Voters Pamphlet this morning. I've been putting it off for days. (All those damn propositions and initiatives!)
    But since I'm (obv) not picking it up and reading it right now, I bet you I don't get around to it until after work. Sheesh.

    Happy Voting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 8 years of George W. Bush, I can't imagine how you Americans, especially the gay ones, must be excited about this election. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably going to be watching at home alone as well. Wah! If I lived closer I'd totally come over. Not that we'd say a word to each other - you know how I am when the TV is on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're more than welcome to come and watch in my attic apartment in Ann Arbor. I have hamsters and bean poles, neither of which anyone could resist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've gotta get out of the PJs and go vote NOW. Still eating birthday cake! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Manassas last night for the rally. It was seventeen kinds of awesome.

    "Fired up! Ready to go!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in philly3:08 PM

    here in philly, voter turnout has been heavy, both in the city AND in the burbs.

    OBAMA 08!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot focus on anything today! I did focus on the voting because that's all I could focus on. I lucked out and didn't have a line. My students reported 3 hour long lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a vote date with my sweetie. We stood in line, but it was a relatively short and fast line. And I voted. And it was good.

    Superman, ever the conservative, couldn't bring himself to vote Democrat. But he couldn't bring himself to vote Republican, either. So he voted for the Constitution party. He couldn't even remember the name of the candidate after we left the polling place. Basically he voted "none of the above."

    While I've been blogging tonight he was in the other room watching the results roll in. He listened to Obama's acceptance speech. He is impressed with the man's oratory ability. I hope Obama is as good as he has promised to be.

    ReplyDelete