Saturday, November 08, 2008

CoffeEconomics

Good Morning, Kittens!

In these troubled economic times, we are all looking for ways to save money ... especially those of us who are part of that wonderful 6.5%. So, here's a little mantra that I have learned to repeat often to myself:

"Starbucks is Expensive"

Yes, their grande caramelmochafrappalattaccinos are delicious, but they are (repeat after me) expensive. And not worth it.

Srsly. I used to go to Starbucks daily. And would regularly drop $4-5. If I wasn't getting the grandenonfatnowhipcaramelmochafrappalattacinoextrahot, I was buying the grande drip coffee (cheaper!) and a piece of lemon poundcake (suddenly, not so cheap).

Now, let's do the math (because you know how much I *heart* the Mathematics):

$4-5/day x 5 = $20-25/week
$20-25/week x 4 = $80-100/month
$80-100/month x 12 = nearly $1200/year.

Do you know what you can buy with $1200?

MY MORTGAGE!

or this:
or 150 of these:




or 4oo of these:



So, what do you do??? I'll break it down for you ...

You buy your own coffee and make it at home.

Or you force yourself to drink your office's horrible (but free) swill.

You can do it! Save the money!

You can thank me by buying me a germ (I already have syphilis and mono, thank you very much, Mush).

Have a great weekend! *smooches*

10 comments:

  1. The only time that I buy coffee from SB (or equivalent) is if a friend wants to meet for an afternoon chat there. Otherwise, I am content to brew my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I did that math, and figured out that for a month's worth of coffee, I could have my own machine. Now that I can't have the coffee, I can still steam up a chai and dream about the day I can tolerate my espressos again.
    BTW, I realized there was a typo in my comment the other day - DH was laid off, but I meant to type "I am still EMPLOYED". Doesn't mean much since my salary is... well. But it's something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/homemadeconveniencefoods.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those germs are fun, fun, fun!

    We finally have a SB in my little town! I feel as though we are beginning to pretend like we might arrive! I haven't been to the 'bucks, though. I don't like their coffee and figured out already that I can't afford it. I really like the coffee I make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No! You're a consumer and you are bound to consume!! Or the economy will collapse!!!
    Just joking. The economy has already collapsed.
    (I go to Costa and have a mediumhotchocolatetakeawaywithcreamontopbutnomarshmallowsplease!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bossy enjoys her at-home vats of coffee... just a vehicle for half-and-half, really.

    Cute glasses, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or you just don't drink coffee. That saves even more money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And anyway Starbucks doesn't taste good. The coffee is burned, that is why they hide it below all that syrup stuff (so weird...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 6.5% my arse.

    To make saving money on coffee even better, get a stovetop espresso maker. They're inexpensive, easy to clean, and give one a nice little morning ritual.

    I use a little saucepan to heat up milk, and if I'm feeling really energetic I froth it with a whisk.

    ReplyDelete