Thursday, April 30, 2009

Everyone Into the Pool

Good Morning, Kittens.

Yesterday was a good news/bad news kind of day. The good news was that I completed my EPA applications (and faxed my transcripts. Yes, Dr. Liz, federal jobs require you to provide proof of an advanced degree ... if you are using that degree in lieu of (or in addition to) experience for a higher paygrade). The bad news is pictured.

Pooling. The colors on my lovely stripe-y sock have started to coagulate. And, I was given several methods to correct it: (1) Move up or down a needle size or (2) Adjust by 2-4 stitches. Since this is my first sock ever, I think I am going to frog the whole thing and start over with a yarn that is solid, not stripe-y. *sigh*

No plans today. I'm supposed to have a date, but he hasn't called ... which -to me- means I'm not having a date. Which is also ok, because I'm really not all into the guy anyway.

AND, I don't have any plans for the weekend yet. What up with that?

Have a SuperFuntastic day. *smooches*

8 comments:

  1. If you haven't already, I would suggest trying both of those methods (not at the same time) on what you have already, just to see what the effect is with that particular yarn. If you're going to frog it anyway, it would just show you what your options may be. (Incidentally, with the standard heel flap construction you will almost always get some sort of pooling at the heel even if the rest of the sock doesn't pool.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be "If you haven't frogged already".
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a much more advanced knitter than I. Everything I do with variegated yarn pools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had Bossy at "The Weekend". Such great news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to prove your degree status when applying/accepting academic jobs too. There was a notorious case where a professor worked for almost a decade at a university without having actually completed his ph.d. Somehow, they forgot to check up on that minor detail.

    Sorry about your pooling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're ballsy to have started your first pair of socks with mixed color yarn - good for you! Seriously, when will this happen:

    You: Hey, check out my socks - I freaking made them.

    Some douche: What is that by the ankle - is that pooling?

    You: Did I mention I have a degree?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of aquatic terms involved in knitting: pooling, frogging. Odd.

    Lawton: LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a third method: use two balls of the multi-coloured yarn. switch between balls on every second round. That usually avoids pooling even on the heel...

    ReplyDelete