Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Dates, Not Just a Delicious Fruit

The date went well.

He was a little late, which was actually good because it gave me time to read a few chapters in the new Thomas Friedman book, Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution -- and How It Can Renew America. And, while I admit I didn't thoroughly read the book, I have to say I was unimpressed. It didn't seem like it added anything new to the conversation. I felt like Friedman was simply recycling old arguments and ideas. Of course, a more intense reading might change my opinion, but that won't happen anytime soon. I was thinking about buying the book, but won't now. I'll wait until someone else buys it, then I'll borrow it from him/her.

Anywayz, the guy was very cute. Former lawyer. Former teacher. Now working on his doctorate. Great smile. Nice eyes. We went to Thai at Silver Spring. I had green papaya salad. He had red curry chicken. Good conversation. Laughs. He paid. We parted with a handshake and a hug. And a promise that I'll let him know how my interview goes on Friday. I would happily go out with him again sometime. We shall see ...

I've spent the rest of the afternoon trying to read the 507-page EPA Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR) on regulating greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act. Oh. Em. Geeeeeeeeeeeee. I think my brain exploded. I was planning to use the ANPR to create a writing sample to take to the interview, but right now the only topic that is coming to my shattered brain is "the EPA's recent ANPR as an example of why top-down command-and-control regulatory action will be ineffective in reducing greenhouse gas emissions."

Maybe that will work. I'm going to sketch out some ideas after our Board Meeting tonight (with our management company, regarding our 2009 budget) ... unless my brain has totally stopped working by then.

Send me good vibes, kittens. *smooches*

9 comments:

  1. Maybe YOU should write a "green revolution" book that says all the same stuff. If it works for Friedman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly8:48 PM

    {{{{{hugs}}}} and good good good good vibrations (to quote a beach boys song)

    AND you went on a date...how loverly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwow weewa! Glad the 'date' was awesome. Good luck with the interview, how can they not love vuboq!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you find another student? Is this by plan or by accident?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crossed fingers for you on the interview -- and that the date guy continues to be decent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not just sending you good vibes, sending you Great Vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. about the date: and you didn't even do IT! phew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good vibes all around.....date sounded good :)

    peace
    #2

    ReplyDelete