Thursday, September 04, 2008

It's What's for Dinner

Good Morning, Kittens!

A few thoughts before we get into the nittygritty ...

-I upgraded my blog template (finally) and some of my formatting disappeared. I figured out how to get my visitor tracking stuff added, but where did my flickr badge go? And, when I try to put it back, I get an error. WTF?

-If we're broken up, why is he still here?

-Apparently, he was unresponsive to my trauma because (a) he didn't think it was serious [I wonder what about the incoherent babbling message and the statement "I thought I might die" meant "not serious"], (b) he was mad because I didn't want to come to NYC [which would explain the callous "well, if you'd come to NY, it wouldn't have happened" remark], and (c) he was (and still is) mad that I don't enjoy/want children. Yeah. Whatevs. VUBOQ is over it [but will probably continue to bitch about it for several days/weeks. Apologies in advance].

BUT, now, on to the *meat* of this post: My Delicious Dinner Last Night - Polenta and Heirloom Tomatoes with Roasted Red Pepper Puree.

This is how we roast red peppers at Casa de VUBOQ:

After it's completely blackened, shove it in a paper bag for about 5 minutes. Then, scrape all the black off.

Deseed, slice, put in food processer with garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, a chili pepper, and a couple of basil leaves. Process until smooth. Set aside.

Next, place a couple of slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese on top of about 5 slices of polenta. Place in toaster oven and broil until cheese is good and melty.

Remove from toaster oven, and serve on bed of couscous with side of salad greens. Drizzle with roasted red pepper puree:

Eat. Smile. Say "Yum!"

*smooches*

14 comments:

  1. Roasted red pepper puree is yummmm! and i love the photos of roasting pepper. the colors and shapes are so nice.

    "he was (and still is) mad that I don't enjoy/want children." hmmm is he aware that childern need taken care of 10000 times more than taking care of your bf? Aaaaand you really have to figure out much faster when their experiences are "serious" and when they are not. And that they won't help him understand when it's serious and when it's not? Perhaps being more thoughtful is more important for parenting than just "wanting" to be a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) it was serious to you, regardless of anyone else's take
    b) he needs to grow the fuck up
    c) how can he have kids if he IS one?

    Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already expressed all I need to about the Y situation to you personally. Proceed as you feel appropriate.

    Recipe: This kind of recipe is the kind that makes me crazy. A series of well-explained simple steps that culminates with "remove from oven and place on painstakingly decorated wedding cake made from rice flour that was never mentioned previously in the entire recipe."

    Where did the couscous come from? When was it made? WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  4. david: Sorry. I use box couscous, which is ready in like 5 minutes. I started it when I was roasting the pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Vuboq. I hope you are ok. It's not easy when you realize somebody is not right for you. You had big differences of point of view as well as about your future (having or not having children) so it's for the best.
    It's good you are going out, I hope the job search is going well too.
    Your dinner looks great, I will definitely try that! Maybe another vuboq recipe I will adopt (I always do martinis like you said to)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (a) OMG
    (b) WTF!
    (c) BBQ?

    Yeah, I don't think he's ready for kids just yet.

    I will have to try that roasted bell pepper method...

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in philly1:13 PM

    (a) - getting mugged IS serious. what, he wanted to wait until you were dead, perhaps? would THAT be serious enough for him?

    (b) - screw NYC!

    (c) - kids are NOT all they are cracked up to be. I knew from the time I was 13 that kids were never to be a part of my life. and I still don't regret that decision (as I turn 54 on saturday).

    as for feeling sad about the breakup, you already have and will probably again later. but know that you are a handsome guy with something to offer someone special. breaking up will also help with the job search, as you don't need to consider anybody else's feelings but your own.

    {{{{{hugs}}}}} for a smart decision!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to you :)

    Just found you from brousing because I'm at work and don't feel like working. Anyway, I've been reading back to (around) the beginning of August. I've decided I <3 you.

    Sorry for all the sh*t you've been going through. *que music* breaking up is hard to doooo.

    Keep your chin up, or just drink some extra (I've found this effective during break ups [or any occasion]).

    Peace out,
    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once upon a time I had a very good relationship with a guy. We liked each other, enjoyed each other's company, and the sex was pretty good. However, we had some significant philosophical differences. Then I met Superman, and realized I didn't have to settle for "very good" when I could have "Great!" and when the things that are important to me are also important to him. The other guy? Good memories, nothing more.

    I think that's a funny way to roast a pepper. Effective, obviously, and I admire your spirit of adventure, but it made me laugh a little bit.

    I'm happy and sad for you about your break-up, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vuboq,

    I think it really sucks to have to deal with Y's short comings when you are in the middle of a tragedy. His true colors are shining bright. It's time to put on your sunglasses and walk away in to the sunset.

    There are much better things for you on the horizon.

    Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. you (and any children that might up being around y) deserve so much better than the paltry shit he's passing off as caring. it sounds a whole lot to me like if he's not the centre of the drama then it's not worth his time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where was your Chef's Little Helper, hmm? Oh no, now Bossy is worried your incident produced worrisome side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could I puree the tomato with the other stuff? I love tomato flavor but tomato texture weirds me out for some reason.

    ReplyDelete