Unemploymentiversary
Good morning, Kittens.
This is it. One year ago today was my last day of work. Had I realized at the time that I would still be unemployed one year later, I certainly would have approached things differently. For example, I would have taken up Montgomery County on their Unemployment Compensation Option to spend 6 months developing my own business in lieu of (the obviously pointless) applying for jobs. Perhaps, Pottery Bar/Infusions would be a Silver Spring reality right about now ...
Anyway, I have applied to over 100 jobs this year and have had only six(!) interviews. From this, I can only draw one conclusion:
I am unqualified for the jobs I want to do.
(Either that or the Powers That Be in HR think I am unqualified ... and in the end, that's about the same thing).
It sucks being unemployable. Srsly.
I'm sure you are wondering how I will be spending my First Unemploymentiversary (and, since you didn't ask the Traditional Gift is GIN; the Modern Gift is CASH).
First, I am heading over to CNTBD's lovely home for a fun boozy lunch.
Then, I think I will venture forth into the District for a little Retail Therapy. Spending money you don't have is *so* 2009.
Finally, I will be drinking myself into a stupor with my friends, possibly at Nellie's. If you're in the DC/Metro Area and want to join with, keep an eye on Twitter for updates.
Have a great day.
*smooches*
This is it. One year ago today was my last day of work. Had I realized at the time that I would still be unemployed one year later, I certainly would have approached things differently. For example, I would have taken up Montgomery County on their Unemployment Compensation Option to spend 6 months developing my own business in lieu of (the obviously pointless) applying for jobs. Perhaps, Pottery Bar/Infusions would be a Silver Spring reality right about now ...
Anyway, I have applied to over 100 jobs this year and have had only six(!) interviews. From this, I can only draw one conclusion:
I am unqualified for the jobs I want to do.
(Either that or the Powers That Be in HR think I am unqualified ... and in the end, that's about the same thing).
It sucks being unemployable. Srsly.
I'm sure you are wondering how I will be spending my First Unemploymentiversary (and, since you didn't ask the Traditional Gift is GIN; the Modern Gift is CASH).
First, I am heading over to CNTBD's lovely home for a fun boozy lunch.
Then, I think I will venture forth into the District for a little Retail Therapy. Spending money you don't have is *so* 2009.
Finally, I will be drinking myself into a stupor with my friends, possibly at Nellie's. If you're in the DC/Metro Area and want to join with, keep an eye on Twitter for updates.
Have a great day.
*smooches*
I think you should go stand on the corner in your unemploymentiversary suit and collect those modern cash gifts.
ReplyDeleteit sucks; age discrimination is rampant; could any of the so-called "employers" found out about this blog?
ReplyDeletewere I in the area, I would bring you some bluecoat gin to drown your pain.
{{{{{hugs}}}}}
yeah, unemployability sucks rocks.
ReplyDeleteI am really sorry about this. I didn't know it had been a full year.
ReplyDeleteMy three year unemploymentiversary will be coming up September 1 (no, I don't need gin, but thanks for asking!)... 3 years. Gah. It's a good thing that I knew from the start that the Ph.D. was just going to be wall candy - if I had counted on it to keep me employed, I'd be rather depressed at this point. Have a few drinks for me. And PLEASE take some drunken pictures - those are always the best! ;-)
ReplyDeleteYour constant drinking is wonderful and makez me feel less alone in the world! Bien graciaz!
ReplyDeleteMy condolences, VUBOQ. I really hope something fabulous comes your way soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. Big hug. This sucks.
ReplyDeleteCheers to your unemploymentversary, will keep fingers crossed for some fabulous opportunities for you in the near future!!! Smooches!
ReplyDeleteOh, my. Has it been a year already? Hope your Big Break! comes soon. (Sorry, it's probably not called a Big Break!, but I only know early twentieth century aspiring stage and/or film star jargon.)
ReplyDeleteI would totally go to Pottery Bar/Infusions. I mean,like, if it were here. And, you know, I could afford it and stuff.