Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Update: Smokin' Edition

I started smoking my Junior year in college. When I was stressed out, usually during exams, I would take a smoke break. Once I graduated and started teaching, I continued to smoke, mostly because being a beginning teacher is stressful as fuck. I don't think I ever smoked more than a pack a week.

Once I quit teaching and moved to Japan, I stopped smoking almost entirely. I would light up once in a blue moon while drinking with friends. Since I've been in the DC area (just over 10 years), I can count on one hand the number of times I've smoked.

On Friday night, after a superfun day (and evening), I had an inexplicable craving for cigarettes. So, after disembarking the metro, I wandered around in search of a convenience store. On the walk home, I smoked two.

On Saturday morning, I was reminded of one of the reasons I quit smoking: hangover + cigarette skank = no fun at all. I doubt I'll smoke any more of that pack even though the initial nicotine buzz was fun and the smell of cured tobacco takes me back to my roots. It was worth the $7 (or how much ever it was) to be reminded of why I don't smoke (often).

As for the rest of my exciting weekend ...

Friday, I met the Silver Spring Penguin and a friend of hers for lunch at a new(ish) Ethiopian restaurant near the likker store. The food was good, but the company was better. Afterwards, I headed into the District for a relaxing Museum Day. I visited the Hirshhorn, as well as the folk art section of the National Portrait Gallery/American Art Museum. Photos are here. Then, I wandered towards Dupont Circle to meet up with Mike. He phoned that we was running late, so I decided to have a cocktail (imagine!) at Bar Dupont. $5 Specialty Cocktails Happy Hour! *w00t!*

Once Mike joined me, we had one more drink before heading to meet our friend, Brian, at the Commissary. More food. More Drinks. And then we were off to JR. for drinks! and then to Cobalt! for more drinks! and then I was staggering home with a cigarette hanging from my lips.

Saturday morning? Total Ooginess, but I had a brunch planned with former co-workers at Alero in Dupont at noon. Somehow, I made it there on time. Two pitchers of margaritas later, the hangover was forgotten! Hurrah!

I parted ways with my friends and met up with Mike. I crashed at his pad until 4ish. Then, I walked down to Union Station to meet CeeJ (*waves at CeeJ*). We were going to Lucky Strike in Chainatown for bowling; however, after learning about their indecipherable and completely subjective dresscode, CeeJ opted to hop in a ZIP Car and drive us into the Wilds of Virginia.

Bowling! So much fun. I suck. I bowled a 91 and 67. CeeJ bowled a Million and a 47 Gabillion. Still, losing can be fun too. Srsly. After bowling, we headed to the restaurants on Barrack's Row for dinner. We ate at a middle eastern place, the name of which I can't remember. CeeJ was kind enough to drive me home.

Around 930, K-Factor came down. We ate babaganouj and started watching Miss Potter. However, K-Factor couldn't stay awake and went up to bed. I managed to watch the movie (Loved It!) without falling asleep on the sofa.

Sunday was quite lazy. K-Factor and I went to the pottery studio around 130. I trimmed a vase and a mug and made the handle for the mug. Once home, I felt like knitting, cocktails, and Pride & Prejudice was in order (the A&E miniseries, not the movie).

No exciting plans for today, I'm afraid. I think Y might be returning at some point. Oh, joy.

Have a fabulous day! *smooches*

10 comments:

  1. Bossy and her cousin bought a pack of cigarettes when they were super young and smoked many in a row and Bossy was so sick she thought she had died. That was it for Bossy and cigarettes. Plenty for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After living in Utah for eleventy billion years, I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke (since you aren't allowed to smoke within 100 miles of any public/private building). Needless to say, coming back to North Carolina has been a bit of a shock to my system! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. carlnepa10:18 AM

    I worked in metal industry years ago when I was smoking. I smoked 3 packs/day but inhaled about 1 1/2 packs/day. In other words I lit more cigarettes to have them burn out without taking one drag on them.
    I quit when they went to $1.50/pack in the machine where I work now. The machine is long gone and you have to smoke outside next to the pig manure pit. I often think I'd like one, but I know it wouldn't be the same. And I'll be damned if I'm going to spend what....$6.00/pack and have to smoke by the manure pit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never enjoyed the smoking. It took time away from the drinkin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know my opinion. The smell of cigarette smoke gives me headaches and nausea, and the older I've gotten the worse it affects me. Only slightly less bad is smooching a smoker. Bleagh.

    That said, when I was living in NC I had an incredibly vivid dream that I had started smoking and had been doing so heavily for several months. It was so vivid, in fact, that for a long time I wasn't entirely certain that it hadn't actually happened, despite my revulsion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smoking when I drink makes me hurl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in philly4:21 PM

    I smoked in college - a pack would last me a month. now, with my allergies and asthma, I can't stand to be around the crap!

    now likker, OTOH...me likey very much!

    PS - word is "sultins", as in "we are the sultins of swing!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bowling alley with a DRESS CODE?

    I may never recover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO! No more smoking. We don't want you to die. And the time you smoke a cig, you might very well drop dead, ON THE SPOT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Smoking is nastycopterz and you're too adorable to do sumfing so gross-smelling and nauseating.

    ReplyDelete