Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lemon Tree Very Pretty

And the lemon flower is sweet.
But the fruit of the poor lemon
Is impossible to eat.

I grew up with Peter, Paul and Mary, listening to their albums on the first piece of furniture my parents bought as a married couple - an RCA stereo cabinet.

That cabinet is in my living room now. When I lift the lid, I can smell the memories, and I'm back in our house in Murphy, flipping through albums ... Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand, The Sound of Music, until I find Peter, Paul, and Mary. Green carpet. Plaster walls. Sooty fireplace. And the lemon tree.

Peter, Paul sans Mary and the world is a little more empty.

In other news, Boozy Lunch with Ms. Bluestocking was quite fun ... and boozy. I got to find out all about her hot new burning hunk of love. Plus, she read over my short story and gave some input on how to resolve the issue I have been having. I came home and took a nap. Wine at lunch time can do that to you.

Before lunch, I mailed the two cute little baby hats I knitted recently.

Last night, I watched The Country Teacher, a Czech film about a gay man who moves to the countryside to teach. A single mother falls for him. He falls for her 17-year-old son. Needless to say, that which one does not want to happen happens and disaster ensues. Although the movie was quite good, I felt the ending was disappointing in the way that lots of movies of the Gay Genre are disappointing. There was forgiveness from all parties involved; however, the Gay Teacher would be living a life without love/sex. *sigh* I suppose that was their idea of a "happy" ending.

Today, I am going to be SuperMotivated and apply to several jobs before lunch. Then, I'm going to head to the pottery studio for awhile. Fun times.

*smooches*

10 comments:

  1. Yea for motivation and applying for jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motivation? What's that? As an aside about Peter, Paul and Mary, "Puff the Magic Dragon" was also the name given to a rather devastating gun ship (airplane) used in Vietnam that could fire 18,000 rounds per minute, and, needless to say, wreaked serious havoc. My guess is that they named the plane after the song, in a bit of an ironic twist. (And yes, that is my Useless Bit Of Knowledge for the day. Being Over-edjumacated is fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. anne marie in philly12:42 PM

    lerve the new blog banner - it's so Y-O-U!

    (*waves*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find most gay films disappointing. Either they are sophomoric, or they are incapable of ending in a positive way for the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come the gay boy never gets the gay boy, anyway? How hard would it be to make that movie? (Yes, I just said "how come." But I knew I did it, so it's cool yo.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose you'll have to leave the EPA arena and start writing not-disappointing gay films.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my parents and your parents were separated at birth. Similar stereo, which they still have, same taste in music.

    Fun boozy lunch! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that smell! The smell of the warm hi-fi as it turns out the scratchy tunes. So cool.

    In the movie Latter Days, the gay boy gets the gay boy. It gets sad in the middle, but turns out pretty nice. I just ruined the surprise, of course, but it's a sweet movie in which no one dies a horrible death.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a stereo cabinet too. And the same vinyl (along with Streisand, the Kingston Trio, Manilow, Rod McKuen, etc., etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I WANT THOSE JEANZ UR WEARING!

    ReplyDelete