Thursday, February 26, 2009

Of Pots and Conodonts

Good Morning, Kittens!

I think Wednesdays are the day for me to go to the pottery studio. For the second week in a row, I was the only person there. It was *much* easier to concentrate than when the studio is filled with annoyingly chatty College chicks. I may go this Sunday to see how the weekend studio is.

Anyway, I threw the bowl and two vases pictured. I rarely throw bowls, so that was a fun challenge. And, I may turn the vases into mugs. The squaretop vase lacked "height" (meaning, even though it is tall enough, it has a squat feel to it), so I pinched in the sides. I don't know if it helped, but it looks a bit more interesting now.

Recently, I finished reading Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin. It was all right. I felt a lot of the biological information was common knowledge (or, at least, common knowledge for someone who majored in biology); however, every now and then I would read a sentence or a paragraph that surprised or interested me enough to keep me reading. One such section was on the evolution of teeth and creatures called conodonts.

Yesterday, I picked up a new book to read, In Suspect Terrain by John McPhee. Although I tend to be a bit wary of books in which the author's name is much larger than the actual title, so far the book on the geologic history of the United States is quite fascinating (if a bit poorly written in places). And, the first chapters have focused on a female geologist who revolutionized mineral mining based on her discovery that the color of conodont fossils could predict geologic temperatures and, thus, the possible locations of various mineable minerals.

Today, I am meeting the lovely and talented Ms. Clio Bluestocking for lunch at Sette in DC. Afterwards, I will probably visit a museum or two and, then, head home to continue the job hunt.

Have a wonderful day! *smooches*

3 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your lunch with Clio - But who am I jealous of more? Her for meeting you? Or you for lunching with her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, GayProf, I think you should be jealous of me! It was a lovely lunch and Metro ride. You would have been more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's it--- if you don't find a job soon and keep doing all of these fun free things in the middle of the day, Bossy is moving her entire extended family to D.C.

    ReplyDelete