Monday, August 31, 2009

Weekend Update: That Which Does Not Kill Us Edition

Good Morning, Kittens.

It's actually Sunday afternoon (hurray for post-scheduling) and I am ... irritated. So, I thought I would pound out a blog post rather than sit and fume and drink (more).

I had a lovely day on Friday. SCGB joined me for lunch at Panera (I had a gift card!) ... although he only had a muffin and coffee. Then, after much internal -and external- dithering, I braved the impending storms and headed into DC to the National Gallery of Art.

I wandered around snapping photos. The entire set is here. I don't know why, but this painting reminded me of Marve (Muinamir on Twitter):

Museum Day 1
Perhaps it's the eyes.


The NGA has an amazing exhibit right now, the Art of Power. I felt the totally coolest part was towards the end of the exhibit, where they had portraits alongside the actual armor worn by the subject of the portrait. Totes fascinating. The catalog was $60, though. So VUBOQ no buy.

On the way back to the metro station, I stopped by the American Art Museum and bought myself a little "Mugiversary" Present:

bought himself a present.


Once home, I made a delicious stir-fry for dinner, using a homemade thai basil pesto as the base, plus zucchini, mushrooms, onion, and tofu. Y went out Friday night, so I had a lovely quiet evening at home. Hurrah.

Saturday, I decided to do a little experimental cooking. I have all this cinnamon basil and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. After brainstorming a bit with SCGB, I decided a sorbet would be nice.

After some online research, I found a couple of recipes that I could use as guides. Here's a photo of the final result:

says the Chocolate and Cinnamon Basil Sorbet is Major Noms!
Chocolate and Cinnamon Basil Sorbet


And the process ...

In a medium saucepan, while constantly whisking over high heat, combine 1 cup sugar, 1.5 cups water, and 3/4 cup grated baking chocolate (I think it's about 2 oz, but not entire sure) and a pinch of salt.

Once the mixture begins to boil, whisk for about 45 more seconds. Then, remove from heat.

Whisk in an additional 3/4 cup water and (what was supposed to be about) 1 tsp of vanilla (except it came out too fast and spilled all in the sauce). Oops.

Pour sauce into a blender and add about 1/2 cup of chopped cinnamon basil leaves (I really didn't measure, so I'm just guessing here).

Blend for about 15 seconds.

Pour into a container and chill.

Once chilled, move container into the freezer. Every hour or so, break up the froze mixture with a fork. Then, freeze over night.

Comments: I think it might be a tad too sweet. Next time, Use less sugar. Perhaps only 3/4 cup.

Finally, take it up to a neighbor's apartment (because you are pissed with your roommate) and enjoy with champagne (Which is what I did on Sunday night)!

Also, on Saturday, my friend (and former co-worker), Dana, picked me up and we went to Adega for lunch. I had a side salad and a glass of wine. Nom.

Saturday Dinner was a veggie burger. Mmmm. With tomato and cheddar. Y was once again gone for the evening (hurrah!), so I watched movies and knitted and chatted with friends.

Sunday, I went for a 3 (or so) mile run in the morning. I sampled the sorbet. I took a nap. I had to change my plans because Y ate the last of my stirfry (which I was planning to have for dinner). I went to Adega for a glass of wine (and to pick up the champagne to enjoy with the sorbet). Then, I did some light shopping at Whole Foods. I came home and assembled the salad I ate for dinner: Red Quinoa with feta, fresh corn, black beans and onion in a chili/lime/mint dressing.

All in all, quite a good Mugiversary Weekend ...

Have a great Monday! *smooches*

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to start labelling your food.

    Pretty bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds tres yummy, that sorbet.

    From what I've read, that sort of thing is common, but I just can't imagine eating someone's food without asking. And can't fathom that other people do that. It's never happened to me, but maybe that's because I've had so few roommates in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could put some cat food in tupperware and see if Y will eat that instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Separate shelves in the fridge and pantry. (Preferably labeled "Mine", "Also Mine", "Most Definitely Mine" and maybe "Not Mine and Not Isabella's So It's Up For Grabs". Just a suggestion...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put some ex lax in the left overs next time. Maybe he'll learn : O

    ReplyDelete
  6. anne marie in philly4:19 PM

    all these suggestions have me ROTFLMAO!

    that boy needs to buy/cook HIS OWN FOOD and wash HIS OWN DISHES!

    does he think he's at a BnB, where his every need will be catered to? not on your life, brother!

    guess you could also put a chain and combo lock around the fridge!

    ReplyDelete