Thursday, August 27, 2009

Julie & Julia - It's a Book, Too

Good Afternoon, Kittens.

As I mentioned earlier, I finished the book, Julie & Julia, the other day. And, here's my mini-review ...

I'm sure everyone knows the story by now: Bored NYC Office Temp hits upon the idea to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1 in one year ... and to blog about it.

And, the blog takes off. She's popular. She's on the news. She's in the NYTimes. She lands a book deal. And a movie, which stars Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

[Do I look jealous? Because I AMz!]


J&J chronicles that fascinating journey with poorly put together prose and lots and lots of whining. Lots. Of. Whining. Not to mention a sometimes sporadic timeline which I found confusing. Although I'm sure a lot of the whining was written for comedic effect, except for a few bright spots, I didn't find myself laughing (or silently chuckling, for that matter).

Plus, without giving anything away, the book had not one ... not two ... but THREE endings. None of which were very satisfying. The first ending was anti-climactic. The second was nonsensical. And, the third? It was annoying in a sort of "look how wonderful I am now" kind of way.

Which is not to say the book wasn't enjoyable. It was a fun, quick, light read. It just wasn't what I thought it could (and hoped it would) be. So, check it out from the library, borrow it from a neighbor, or put it on your Amazon Wish List and hope someone else buys it for you (Thanks, again, Dr. Liz!). Spend *your* hard earned dollars on something else ... like buying gin for me!

*smooches*

7 comments:

  1. She whines in the film, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Julia Child was awesome. This chick who bought a cookbook and blogged about it, though, well, I'm not yet impressed.

    Is the movie worth seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this book at the library when it came out. I started reading it and put it aside (not a good sign). Anyway, I forgot about it, then it was due and I never bothered to renew it.
    I love the idea behind it, though and will see the movie, because I love cooking and Meryl Streep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always liked Julia Child - anyone who would use a home-sized flame thrower when cooking? Serious thumbs up! Whining? Eh.... I can do that all on my own.... Too bad Amazon doesn't sell gin... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bossy is too jealous to even objectively comment about the wildly successful blog or the best-selling book or the movie starring FRICKING Meryl Streep, so she won't. Siiiiiiiiiigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The movie was very much worth it. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci were splendid, Amy Adams made Julie Powell (sort of) sympathetic, and the actor who played Julie P's husband is so CUTE. Also, My Life in France, the Julia C. book that the film was based on, is utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. rn terri12:07 PM

    Thanks for the review, I think I will put this lower on my list....

    ReplyDelete