Friday, October 16, 2009

It's Easier to Be Unhappy

I read the above line in one of Carolyn Hax's chats on the Washington Post website. And, it's so true.

Being unhappy means blobbing on the sofa all day, drinking copious amounts of gin (and vodka. and rum. and a little tequila too), knitting, and watching DVDs.

What it does not mean is slogging through all the job ads (both of them), sending out resumes and writing cover letters.

Being unhappy means eating chips and salsa for dinner (and lunch. and breakfast).

What it does not mean is pulling oneself off the sofa to walk to the Whole Foods (in the pouring rain) to buy interesting vegetables to combine in fun and unique ways to make a delicious dinner (or lunch).

Being unhappy certainly is easier, but it's not much fun.

Have a great day, kittens. *smooches*

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this is an especially poignant post, dear friend, and pretty timely for Bossy.

    But she thinks she may wallow in it anyway, just a bit longer.

    You forgot the part about playing melancholy tunes in one's headphones.

    Siiiiiigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. True. True. Sometimes I play the "Act As If" game, where I do all the behaviors that I would do IF. So, in the case of happiness, I would do all those actions that happy people supposedly do, the things you just wrote about. The weird thing is that by "acting as if" the funk often goes bye-bye. But it is easier to not even make an effort. Bring on the gin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rn terri12:00 PM

    The weather here is certainly conducive to these feelings for me..... I need a margarita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I've been watching DVDs and stitching, and pulling stuff out of the freezer for dinner, and yet I don't think I'm unhappy. Just lazy (except for when A Certain Dog drags me out on a hike). Lazy is good, too, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know... blobbing on the sofa while drinking and watching tv sounds like good times to me. Maybe you're doing it wrong?

    Hope the job search takes a turn for the better. I'm going through the same thing. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What makes you happy is just that...what makez YOU happy. Do what you like and forget the rest. We all have faith'n'skatez in youuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much do not want you to be unhappy.

    ReplyDelete