Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend Update: Diseased Edition

Good morning, kittens!

My weekend was chock full of fun and excitement. Friday night, I went to bed early. And Saturday, I didn't even leave the house. On Sunday, I left the house once (to go the grocery store). Mm. Hm. I am living the Crazy (sub)Urban Life!

I did accomplish a few things during my convalescence though ...

On Saturday, I made Garlicky Red Chili Sauce:

Garlicky Red Chili Sauce, Pureed and Cooling


Here's the recipe I used (adapted from the New York Times):

2 habenero chili peppers
1 red bell pepper, roasted and roughly chopped
4 small cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1. Wearing rubber/latex gloves, roughly chop the chilies. Combine all ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat. Once mixture is simmering, reduce heat to low, cover and continue to simmer until peppers are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Do not inhale vapors; they will sting.

2. Transfer mixture to a blender and puree. Pour into a medium jar and allow to cool uncovered. Cover tightly and refrigerate for three days. Keep stored in refrigerator; sauce will last for several weeks or months.

It should be ready on Tuesday, when D comes over for dinner! I haven't seen him since last Sunday. *sad face*

Also on Saturday, I finished knitting a baby hat and these babies:

First Socks!


It only took about a year and a half. Huzzah! I've also started another baby hat. After that is finished I'm either going to start my seamless sweater or another pair of socks.

Saturday night, I made one of my favorite meals - baked sweet potato with sauteed spinach and goat cheese. Totes yumz! I had the leftovers for Sunday dinner too.

I could not sleep at all Saturday night. So coughy and gross. I finally found a thing of pseudo-TheraFlu. I drank it. It was disgusting. But, it did help me sleep. Yay.

I was planning to go to the pottery studio around noon, but decided I did not feel well enough to venture that far. Better to stay in and rest more ...

And I did. If you define "rest" to mean "clean the bathroom, do a load of laundry, and iron 6 shirts and a pair of pants."

Then, I took a nap. Mmm. Naps.

After my nap, I walked to the Giant to buy important cold remedies - juice, Puffs Plus w/ Lotion, and NyQuil. Yayz!

I spent the rest of the evening knitting and watching DVDs. So much fun.

Hope your weekend was better than mine!
*germy smooches*

6 comments:

  1. Ew, germs!

    Was that bit about not inhaling the vapors in the NYT version of the recipe? And did inhaling them at least help clear your sinuses a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Hope you feel better by your dinner date. He owes you big time for passing on such nasty germs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rn terri10:07 AM

    Feel better soon! LOVE the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still not feeling well, booooo! Finishing socks and a hat, YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome socks! Yeah, my weekend was better than yours, but as Kris is going to be gone this coming weekend on maneuvers (or whatever the hell it's called when the Army Reserves are gone that one week a month), next weekend will assuredly be better for you than me.

    Get better soon, man!

    HUGS....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be well. Love the socks.

    ReplyDelete