Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How's Your Cat?

Good morning, kittens!
 
One of the many things I am thankful for during this Season of Being Thankful is that I have managed to live in this area for longer than I've lived anywhere else.  The bonus of putting down roots is that you interact with the same people on a regular basis - the server at Adega, the teller at BOFA, the crossing guard at the metro station.
 
I used to see her every morning on my walk to work.  As we waited for the lights to change, we would exchange general pleasantries ... talking about the weather, the holidays, and our pets.  She eventually moved to a different school, and, now, works evenings at the Silver Spring Metro Station Bus-terfuck.
 
Yesterday, standing at the intersection of Wayne and Dixon Avenues, we caught the light just right ...
 
Crossing Guard: How's your cat?
Me: She's doing well.
Crossing Guard: How old is she now?
Me: Hm ... maybe 9 or 10?
Crossing Guard: Yeah, I was thinking it's been maybe 5 or 6 years. 
Me: Wow, it has been a long time.  She's as crazy as ever.  And your dog?
Crossing Guard: He's good too. He still likes to chew on everything though.
 
And, then, the light changed.  We waved good-bye and she stepped out to stop a left-turning car from running over us.
 
Have a great day!
*smooches*

6 comments:

  1. priceless. Don't you just love that sort of history with folks? Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm impressed. I've lived in my neighborhood for 10 years and .... yeah, nothing. Except for my annoying neighbour whom I hate, I know a couple of other neighbors by necessity but not many. My grocery store is staffed my students from the college, actually probably most shops in my neighborhood. I think living in the burbs is different. Plus I don't use public transit so I don't see the same people at the same time everyday kind of thing. I know a few of my kidlet's friends' parents, but otherwise, not so much.

    That's very cool that she remembered you and your baby. Hope you get off work early today and enjoy your Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's odd for me to think that, aside from Albuquerque (where I was born and raised), my grad-school town is the second-longest place that I have ever lived. I still wish I could say that about Boston. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely : ). And now I'll be humming "The People in Your Neighborhood."

    ReplyDelete
  5. UG...WHEN AM I GOING TO MEET YOUR BRILLIANT FELINE?!? She sounds LOVERLY!

    ReplyDelete