Sunday, December 19, 2010

Week Update: Orlando Sucks Edition

Good Afternoon, Kittens.

I'm taking a break from my annual StickSteven Year in Review holiday letter and thought I'd finally update my blog. I am sure you are getting tired of looking at a shadowy me.

So ... Last Sunday morning, I left for the airport for my work trip to Orlando. I got to the airport in plenty of time. Unfortunately, our plane did not. In fact, our plane was trapped in Boston by fog/weather. And DCA was also in danger of closing to all flights because of limited sight distance. Aren't all these planes guided by Advanced Robotics anyway?

My flight, which was supposed to take off around 1PM had not even arrived by 3PM. Gah. How did JetBlue remedy the situation? They put the entire flight on SuperShuttle vans and drove us to Dulles. Where we had to go through security all over again. Ugh.

Once on the flight, I needed a gin & tonic. Apparently, so did the little grandmother sitting beside me. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a mini bottle, saying "I bring my own and security has never questioned it. I just put it in my coat pocket. I guess because it is less than 2 oz."

"You know you can put it in your quart bag with your toiletries, right," I asked.

"Oh. I wouldn't want to be that obvious about it," she said, as she screwed the top back on and returned it to her pocket. I love me some Closet Drinkin' Grannies!

The flight landed around 8ish. I was checked in at my hotel by 930. Yay. I had a drink and an appetizer at the hotel bar and went to bed.

Monday through Thursday, I was in class. I was hoping to be able to take public transportation around town in the evenings after class. However, it was sooooooo damn cold I didn't want to wait for the trolleys. OMG. Weather.com totally lied to me about the temperature. At night, it was dropping down to below freezing. UGH.

Luckily, my friend, Carolyn, was in Orlando for another conference. And she had a rental! On Wednesday night, we went out to dinner to Emeril's Tchoup Chop. The food was OK. A little on the bland side. Not entirely sure it was worth my entire per diem that day.

After picking up a 6-pack at Walgreen's, Carolyn dropped me off at the hotel around 11PM. As I was entering the elevator, a guy hopped on. I pressed 5. He didn't press anything.

"You have the right idea," he said, nodding towards my beer.
"Yep," I said.
"Are you here for business or pleasure," he asked.
"Am I being picked up," I thought. "Or marked to be robbed in this elevator all by myself?"
"Fun," I said. Then the elevator stopped and the doors opened.
"I'd like to join you," he said, as I left the elevator.
"Ack," I thought and didn't reply. Halfway to my room, I stopped to see if he had followed me. He hadn't.

Weird.

The next day, after reflecting about what happened, I reported the incident to hotel security. I did this for two reasons (1) I got the impression that he was not a guest of the hotel and (2) I wanted to know what security measures they have in place in case something had happened. Trust me, I was ready to break a bottle of beer over his head if I had to.

On Thursday, I only had class until noon. AND, the weather finally warmed up to the 60s. Yay! Carolyn and I spent the afternoon at the Outlets. I didn't buy anything.

And, finally, on Friday, I returned home. I got home around 5:30PM. So good to be back. Later that evening, Tomokito came down for drinks. She and Baby Hana left on Saturday for Japan. Jealous.

Saturday, I did grocery shopping and cleaning. Which is what I have been doing today as well. And working on the StickSteven 2010 Year in Review.

Back to work tomorrow. yay.

Have a great rest of your day! *smooches*

2 comments:

  1. That is definitely freaky about the guy in the elevator. Good think you reported it.

    The weather has been crazy upside down everywhere it seems. Glad you made it home safely and I'm sure you are much smarter now after all that training ... and beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that elevator guy was completely freaky! Course, if he was cute and all, I'da probably taken him on it. :)

    I hope that was the only freaky encounter!

    HUGS...

    ReplyDelete