Friday, December 10, 2010

VUBOQ Reads a Book or Two

Good Morning, Kittens.

As the 2010 comes crashing to a dramatic and fanciful close, everyone makes the lists. You may remember I bought a Nook around the beginning of this year. Francis the Nook has made reading much more convenient and the 45 min (on a good day) commute to work much more enjoyable.

So, here's a list of the books I've read (in no particular order ... although I used the covers of my favorite fiction and non-fiction books of the year as illustrations):

Michael Tolliver Lives -- Armistead Maupin
Pride and Prejudice -- Jane Austen
Cleopatra: A Life --Stacy Schiff
Never Let Me Go -- Kazuo Ishiguro
You Are Not a Stranger Here -- Adam Haslett
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- Stieg Larsson
The Girl who Played with Fire -- Stieg Larsson
The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest -- Stieg Larsson
The Hunger Games -- Suzanne Colllins
Catching Fire -- Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay -- Suzanne Collins
Sons and Lovers -- D.H. Lawrence
The Scarlet Letter -- Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Poisonwood Bible -- Barbara Kingsolver
One Day-- David Nicholls
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet -- David Mitchell
The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine
-- Michael Lewis
Liar's Poker: Rising Through the Wreckage on Wall Street -- Michael Lewis
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon --David Grann
House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival -- Deborah Ball
Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature -- Janine M. Benyus
Lost in a Good Book -- Jasper Fforde
The Well of Lost Plots -- Jasper Fforde
Something Rotten -- Jasper Fforde
First Among Sequels -- Jasper Fforde
The Help --Kathryn Stockett
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks -- Rebecca Skloot

A busy year of books, no? I am currently reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade by Justin Spring ... but I doubt I will finish it by the end of the year. It's long. With lots of juicy footnotes. Rumor has it that GayProf is the Distinguished Professor from Midwestern Funky Town who had a Wild Night of Passion with Steward around page 130. Names are strictly confidential, so we'll never know for sure.

And what did you read this year? Anything worth sharing?

Have a great day! *smooches*



7 comments:

  1. Your blog is great
    If you like, come back and visit mine: http://b2322858.blogspot.com/

    Thank you!!Wang Han Pin
    From Taichung,Taiwan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well, I don't have time to list all the books I read since I read a lot of short stories and just started a blog with a friend to review them. 500? Maybe more? Umm, I have a problem I think. LOL

    You read much more serious "literature" than I do (except for Jackie Collins). I rarely read anything but e-books now. I do have an amazing paperback on the go called "Wicked Gentlemen" by Ginn Hale. It's ... steampunk? Fantasy? There's religion ruling, demons coming up from hell and living amongst humans, a drug addicted demon who hooks up with a religious cop to solve crimes, gore, sex, you know, the good stuff. Yeah. I HIGHLY recommend it. Ginn is a great writer and a super lady as I got a chance to meet her in San Francisco in October. So there is my book pimpin' for the day. It's available in e-book now I think from Blind Eye Books but also paper for those who read "real" books. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the books I've read this year are listed on my blog in the left hand column. I'll also include a list nearer the end of the year.

    I have Michael Tolliver Lives in my to-read pile, but haven't gotten to it yet! :)

    HUGS...

    ReplyDelete
  4. rn terri11:16 AM

    The Versace book looks interesting. You do some deep reading. A few of my faves for this year are:

    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

    The Late Lamented Molly Marx by Sally Koslow

    With Friends Like These by Sally Koslow

    My reading leans toward chick lit, I love it, I admit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read my own book! Available now for preorder on Amazon. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read Armistead Maupin's latest book, 'Mary Ann In Autumn' from his Tales Of The City series? I plan to purchase it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read quite a few on your list. I should start keeping track of mine. I read all the time, but whenever anyone asks me what I've just read, I blank.

    Did you like One Day? It's on my library hold list.

    ReplyDelete