Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waxing Rhapsodic

Well, not really.  That phrase popped into my head a few minutes ago ... AND,
 
GOOD AFTERNOON, KITTENS!!!
 
I thought I would take a few moments to answer a few questions that have been asked in the comments (or on Facebook?  or Twitter?  Somewhere, I know someone asked me some of these questions at some point).  And, I can't remember the exact questions either, but they had to do with one of two things: (1) the new rug and/or (B) the soup I made.
 
So, first, the new rug. It is fabulous.  I bought it online from Hautelook (which is one of those daily bargain feeder things, like Gilt or Groupon or something).  I do not know the maker/brand because I threw out the label.  Sorry.  But, the rug was totes cheap, only $240 (or so), marked down from over a $1000.  Yayz.
 
As for the soup, it was also fabulous.  I did not follow a recipe (who follows recipes for soup?  I mean, really.  Soup is so easy).  I used, 1 butternut squash (peeled and cubed), 2 small apples (diced, not peeled), half an onion, a can of diced tomatoes, maybe 2 cups of homemade veggie broth, curry powder, garam masala, and salt.
 
First, I browned the onion, butternut squash, and apple in a pan with some oil and a very liberal shake of the curry powder.
 
As this was happening, I melted the frozen broth in a large stockpot and brought it to a boil.
 
Once the onion, et al. was nice and soft and browned and a little crispy, I dumped it into the simmering broth. 
 
Then, I swished a little white wine around in the pan to scrape up all the tasty little browned bits stuck to it and dumped all that into the pot too.
 
Next, I added the can of diced tomatoes.
 
I let all that boil for awhile.  Tasted it.  Added the salt and garam masala.
 
Boiled some more.
 
Finally when it all seemed well boiled, I took out my immersion blender (a.k.a. the Fabulous Zhoozher) and zhoozhed the soup until it was smooth.
 
And it was delicious.
 
I guess that's about it.  I ran 5 miles yesterday after work.  Today is Laundry Day!  Joy.
 
Have a great day!
*smooches*
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I need a recipe for soup. It's an oddity here - it's never really cold enough for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting us know about the rug. It is definitely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Immersion blenders are the best! We call ours a thunder stick, but I might have to call it a Zhoozher now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to know about the soup! I love knowing what people put in their soups.

    I made ginger/parsnip/carrot/spinach/shallot/celery soup last week. I didn't love it, but ate it anyway.

    ReplyDelete