Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Year of Good (and some Bad) Books

Good Morning, Kittens!

As 2011 draws to a close (hurrah!), I thought it would be fun to take a quick minute to list the books that I've read this year. Most of them were very good. A couple were truly awful (I'm looking at you, "The Lost Symbol" and "The Land of Painted Caves.").

Without further ado, in (close approximation of) the order in which I read them, here are the Books of 2011:

1. An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin
2. I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell
3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
4. The Surrendered by Chang Rae-Lee
5. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
6. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) by Rick Riordan
7. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2) by Rick Riordan
8. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #3) by Rick Riordan
9. The Land of Painted Caves (Earth's Children #6) by Jean M. Auel
10. The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #4) by Rick Riordan
11. Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell
12. The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #5) by Rick Riordan
13. Border Dilemmas: Racial and National Uncertainties in New Mexico, 1848-1912
14. The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time by Jonathan Weiner
15. Clown Girl by Monica Drake
16. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
17. We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
18. The Birth of Venus: A Novel by Sarah Dunant
19. Tomatoland: How Modern Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit by Barry Estabrook
20. Emma by Jane Austen
21. In War Times by Kathleen Ann Goonan
22. Lady Susan by Jane Austen
23. 10 Ways to Recycle a Corpse and 100 More Dreadfully Distasteful Lists by Karl Shaw
24. Centuries of June by Keith Donahue
25. The Secret Lives of Hoarders: True Stories of Tackling Extreme
Clutter by Matt Paxton
26. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I also re-read the Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde (5 books) and the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins (3 books).

I am trying to finish "The Family Fang" by Kevin Wilson before the New Year.

Interestingly enough, only two of the books I read in 2011 were not on my nook, "The Beak of the Finch" and "Border Dilemmas." I *heart* my nook (sad little first generation nook that it is).

As for 2012, so far I have purchased, "Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy" by Bill Clinton and "J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets" by Curt Gentry. I will also continue to work my way through the Jane Austen canon. Good times.

As always, I am open to your 2012 reading suggestions!

Have a great day!
*smooches*

5 comments:

  1. can we be nook friends? I don't know if I have any shareable books yet, but at least we can be buddies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, a book I want to re-read this year is Book of Salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you enjoyed the Percy Jackson series, check out The Maze Runner series by James Dashner. He's a dear friend of mine since kindergarten and an incredible author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished up the Percy Jackson seires this year as well. I enjoyed them, they're a fun and quick read. I'm waiting for the next series of his to come out in paperback.

    HUGS...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Given that everyone seems to like them, I'll probably pick up the Percy Jackson series next year.

    ReplyDelete