Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekend Update: Half-Marathon Edition

Good Evening, Kittens.

I have returned from a fun-filled and slightly exhausting weekend in the City of Brothers Who Love.

After work on Friday, I headed to Union Station.  My train wasn't scheduled to depart until nearly 9PM, so I had arranged to meet a friend for drinks/food beforehand.

Said friend never showed up.  Grrrrr.  And, then, made some lousy excuse.  This is a friend that I used to hang out with last year, but he met a boyfriend and ignored me.  Now, they have broken up, and he contacted me again.  I thought I would give him another shot.  Oh, well.  I am done with that guy.

The train trip to Philadelphia was uneventful.  I was mostly drunk.  V from Philly picked me up at the train station and we drove back to his place.  Had a few drinks.  And went to bed (it was nearly midnight).

The next morning, there may (or may not) have been some Morning Fun.  Then, we met Lora for brunch at the Green Eggs Cafe.  OMG.  The food was so good there.  And the portions were HUGE!  We all ordered different things and shared.  It was awesome!  Nom nom nom.

After brunch, V from Philly and I went to the Convention Center to pick up my race packet.  Then, we headed to the Macy's for the unveiling of their Christmas windows ... and Look Who Was There:

ANDREW McCARTHY and some guy in a red suit
After that, we drove up to Manayunk, so V from Philly could buy some new running shoes at a local shop where a friend of his works.   Then, we ate a very late lunch at a restaurant up there.

We drove back.  Blobbed around.  Decided we were too full to go out for dinner, so we ordered a pizza.  I needed to carb load.

We had to get up Way Early for the Half-Marathon.  V from Philly works with a group who runs a Beer Check at Mile 19, so he had to get up there before the roads closed.  He dropped me off at the starting line around 5:30.  KBrrrrr.  It was cold.

The race eventually started.  YAY!  It was fun, but so crowded I couldn't really concentrate on the sights.  I got a high-five from Mayor Nutter at the start ... and the finish.  The worst part of the course was a never-ending hill around mile 9.  UGH.  But after surviving that, the rest of the run was relatively easy ... until Mile 12, when a blister on my right toe burst.  Ouch!

My official time was 2:02:16.  Slightly better than I thought I would do, but not as good as I wanted to do.  I finished 3916 out of 10971 overall and 246 out of 511 in my division (M 40-44).  Not too shabby, I guess.

After the run, I hobbled back to V from Philly's place, showered, ate leftover pizza, drank a beer, and fell asleep.  He got home around 3 (I think?).  And, then, we went to a gay happy hour at the Hotel Monaco.  After that, we went to Khyber Pass Pub for drinks and dinner.  I had a vegan pulled "pork" BBQ sandwich, which was super tasty.  And, then, one of V from Philly's friends joined us and we went to another bar somewhere for more drinks.

And, then, we walked home.  And fell asleep around 10:30.

This morning, he dropped me off at the train station on his way to work.  I got home around noon.  Did housework.  Went to the grocery store.  And, now, I'm just chillin' until pottery class.  Good times.

Hope you had an awesome weekend and a great Monday!


  1. Congrats on the time. I did a ten k once and nearly died. Don't know how you do it! Happy for you on the hubba hubba front : )

  2. I still don't understand why anyone would run on purpose. And at 5:30 in the morning to boot. But congrats on your time!

  3. That's both more running and at a faster clip than I could manage. Yay you!