Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekend Update: Operatic Edition

Good Evening, Kittens!

What a weekend!  It was definitely too short.  At least this coming week is only a four-day week for me!  and a four-day weekend!  BUT, enough looking ahead.  Let's look back and reflect ...

My work week was pretty much the usual exercises in clusterfuckery.  I did have a phone interview.  We'll see how that goes.  I think the job would be interesting.  And I think it will pay more.  Not sure if I impressed them during the interview or not, though.  Oh, well.  We'll see ...

I also got the bid for my kitchen remodeling project - $15,000.  Not including appliances.  My parents were supposed to be helping me pay for it.  But, after talking with my mother tonight, I'm not so sure I want their help.  Although I'm also not sure how I will pay for it otherwise.  Ugh.  There was too much "that's too expensive" and "you should find another contractor" and "you should get lower quality materials."  Really?  Is that what I'm going to have to put up with if I take their money?  I'm thinking "no thank you."  I can sell a kidney.  Or cash in one of my retirement accounts.  Or something. That conversation made me cranky. 

ANYWAY,  Friday, after work, I got my hair cut.  And colored.  YAY!  Afterwards, I met Mike (Who Makes Cakes) for dinner.  We went to Pacci's in Silver Spring.  Mmmm.  Pizza.  Deliciousness.

On Saturday morning, I went for a 4 mile run.  The weather was a little chilly.  Then, I walked up to Whole Foods and Adega (where I had lunch).  Came home.  Took a nap.  And, then, left for Opera in the Outfield, an annual simulcast of an opera being performed at the Kennedy Center.  This year's opera was Don Giovanni.  Don Giovanni is a womanizing cad.

Three Blondes and a Bird
I met ShallowGal, her husband, and their three adorable spawn at National's Stadium.  We camped out on the Outfield.  Eventually more friends joined us. And the opera started.  It got dark.  AND COLD.  The ShallowGal Family left at intermission.  I stayed until the end.  It was a very fun time.

Sunday morning, I woke up, blobbed around, and then headed to SCGB's apartment for brunch with his bf, the German, his hot baby mama, and their baby.  SCGB made awesome food.  I had many mimosas.  I got home around 3.

Then, T (who I had a date with a week ago Friday) came over.  We chatted ... and may (or may not) have done a few other naughty things.

He left.  Tomokito and (Not a Baby) Baby Hana came down for a short visit.  They left.  I ate dinner.  Then, I ironed.

And, I think my iron died.  Total.  Sadness. Or maybe it's just resting ...

And, that was my weekend.  Good times, no?

*smooches*

7 comments:

  1. I had a birthday and worked all day but since it was gigs I managed to get drunk anyway. Today I am doing All The Laundry and watching Fraggle Rock on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my iron would die. I'd like a new one but the one I have works okay, so I have difficulty rationalizing buying a new one just because I want a fancier one.

    Had an amazing weekend in the Big Apple (the small apple, New York's sidekick Brooklyn?). Lunch with David P, Enrico, seeing Adam and Mr. S and Craig and the boys happy in their marital bliss, fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to stick to the lightest, breeziest topics when talking to my parents. Crankiness is bound to happen otherwise.

    We went to the coast for the weekend. Not a whole lot of fun, but nice to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, too10:53 PM

    R.I.P., VUBOQ's iron. Too bad it's probably a fairly recent model that doesn't have enough visual appeal to make a stylish bookend or doorstop.

    If the parental $$$ could make a real difference, my advice is to shoot for getting the floor plan and major items you want with a plan to upgrade the rest later. Major items here would be cabinets, stove, fridge, and dishwasher. Countertops and everything else being negotiable. For example, you might get a very good-to-top-quality sheet vinyl now with a plan to get ceramic tile later. Same thing with a laminate counter vs. granite or engineered quartz. Yeah, it'd be nice to get your dream kitchen right out of the box. . .but I think only that b***h Barbie ever gets that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to the opera, too! (and also left at intermission)

    I thought the guy who sang the National Anthem at the beginning was AMAZING.

    (also? why did a guy sing the National Anthem at the beginning? Most operas don't start with that. Is it some kind of rule that all things at the ballpark must begin with Oh Say Can You See? Am confused.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could send my iron. I've had it for years and when Travis used it Friday night he had to wipe the dust off of it. We never did find the ironing board, though. I think it's in the basement somewhere.

    Sorry we missed you Saturday. Next time, we'll let you know well in advance when we're gonna be in DC!

    HUGS....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like very good times. Why don't we have filthy rich parents again?

    ReplyDelete