Monday, December 03, 2012

Weekend Update: I've Been Working on the Weekend Edition

Good morning, kittens!

And, I'm back from my "wonderful" weekend at the National Harbor.  Well, parts of it were wonderful, but most of it Just. Sucked.

The wonderful parts were being able to hang out with V from Philly and ... well, that's about it, really.

Friday, after work, a co-worker drove me to the National Harbor, because there is really no good way to get there via public transportation.  I met V at the Aloft and he gave me a key to our room and then went back to work the Holiday Festival. 

The Aloft sucked.

The room had no heat.  We complained twice and each time they said they would send up an engineer to look at it.  They did not.

V from Philly got back from the Festival around 7ish, and we met his co-worker for dinner. We first went to the Rosa Mexicano, but they had no available seating until 9:30PM.  So, we tried this Italian place (name of which I can never remember) where my co-workers and I sometimes go for lunch.  They were not accepting walk-ins until after 9PM.  Really?  WTF?  We did manage to find a trio of seats at the bar.  And our bill?  For three came to about $130.  Really?  WTF?  This is not forkin' New York City.  It's the National Harbor.  In Fort Washington!  Prince Georges County!  And, thus, one theme of the weekend was set: Long waits for over-priced, fair-to-middlin' food.

After dinner, V from Philly's co-worker drove back to Philly.  We went to the dueling piano bar, Bobby McKeys.  $5 cover?  What?  Really?  $9 beer?  WTF?  Really?  We had one drink and left.  And, then, went to Harrington's.  No cover.  Still expensive beer.  Plus, a very nice (possibly drunk) redneck in a camouflage jacket said V from Philly and I made a cute couple and he should put a ring on it.  Ha!

The next morning, we grabbed breakfast at Freshii and caught the shuttle to the Holiday Festival.  I was on my feet for 9 hours shilling wines from a Pennsylvania winery.  One thing I learned is that even if you know nothing about wine, people tasting it will believe anything you say about it and will be all like "oh, yes, I do get a hint of that at the finish." 

The tent was cold.  Even with Uni-Qlo heat-tech longjohns and turtleneck and foot warmers, I was still chilly.  At the end of the day, we packed up and shuttled back to the main harbor area.  We ate dinner at Thai Pavilion, which fit into the theme of restaurants there.  Over-priced.  Fair-to-middlin'.

Then, we went back to the hotel, watched some TV, and I crashed before 10:30PM.  Werk iz hard.

Sunday, we stepped and repeated.

Breakfast at Freshii.  Drove to the Festival.  Shilled wine.  Tried to be pleasant to people even though I wanted to bash their faces in.

I have decided that sales/customer service is not the job for me.

We finished at 5.  Packed up the car.  And drove to Silver Spring.  We had dinner at McGinty's in DTSS, and when we got the bill, V from Philly said, "Wow.  These aren't National Harbor prices."  No, indeed, they were not.

Then, he drove me home and headed back to Philly.  I blobbed around the house for a bit and went to bed.

I am so glad I am off today.  I have a lot of running around to do.  Good times!

Have a great day!  *smooches*

2 comments:

  1. Well, that sounds like a weekend from hell. I think I'll stroke that place off my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an expensive and chilly weekend. I hope they gave you some free mulled wine for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete